[SOLVED] PC starts but just beeps..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I have an:

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC, AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, AMD Radeon RX 550, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB Hard drive, Win 10 version 21H2

I've added 2 new memory chips so it has 16 gb RAM now, as well as an SSD Drive. I use the remaining HDD for backing up.

I first got a bsod, and screen would freeze up if I got things (so I thought) straightened out. But same thing happened again so took it to shop in town. They didn't fix it, said they found no problem with it, hah, charged me 30 bucks for nothing. I worked for a whole day, and screen froze up next day and also kept getting a blue-screen saying it didn't start right so needed to restart. I've gone in circle with it, but today, it won't even boot up completely. It turns on, beeps continually 3 long beeps, and the display never shows anything at all, turns itself off, but pc stay on and lighted start button on pc blinks on and off.

I did a clean install of Windows by downloading Media creation tool, and used Rufus to download to USB and install. I have a laptop I am using to help me figure things out.

I don't know what is wrong, and not sure if I can diagnose it myself, with help. Would love to get some feedback on other things I can try. I've run the tests available to me online/apps recommended etc. but now, I can't even boot into BIOS, Safemode, nothing at all will come up.

Can anyone advise me? Thanks in advance for any help. I do have a thread on HP I can link to, and hope it's ok. It shows everything I did before I took it to the shop, go here.

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I should have said rebooted, can't do a restart. I did get that blue screen that says Windows didn't load right, something like that, and gives me option to click "restart" or advanced options.

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
So far, I can't type anything because the screen is freezing soon as the desktop is up. I can take out the RAM and put back in the original 8gb one and see if it works. I don't know that I'll get to it today but I will let you know what happens when I try that. Thanks so much for sticking with me, if you want me to try anything else I can do that, otherwise, I think I should try messing with the RAM. Maybe it was to much for the PC.

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Ok, I found some info on RAM in System Info, BIOS. It's showing all my RAM I believe:

16384 mb DDR4/2666 mhz/Dual Channel

Also, limits for memory on my computer is 128 gb if this means x64 Bit because that's what mine is.

When I type in System Information in Start area, it never did show I was now at 16 gb of RAM, and it didn't show my new SSD so thought I'd take a look in BIOS.

I doubt that helps, but I did set the clock right since it was still back on the 17th of July. I'll restart or hard boot if I have to and see how it goes.

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
It doesn't show up in Windows, like in Winver/System Info, only saw BIOS showing what I think meant 16 gb. I have to do an errand, but I'll be back within 30 min., I'm sorry to have to run off, but it's a "have to". Denise ;)

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I finally got a blue window with a code: Kernal security check failure.

needs to restart, says it is collecting some error info, but it stays on 0%. I'll just leave it there and see if it does run the check and complete it.

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Not doing, think it's froze too.

I have a couple of pics that might help, well 3. One's of my motherboard according to HP, one is different things that could be wrong if I get blue screen to restart, 3rd is just the blue screen I continue to get, eventually, if not sooner ;)

No hurries to get back to me, or at all. It's just I am want to somehow save money by fixing this myself, isn't everyone right ;) I'm almost 70 now but still have a few marbles left, but not a lot of dough, so any help is appreciated, and maybe someone else has run into this issue ;) Denise

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Hey @CompuGuy71, I took out one of the new RAM chips and replaced it with the one that came with the computer. The computer turned on like normal, didn't freeze up or anything abnormal. I went straight for the Window Diagnostic Memory in Control Panel, took awhile to find as it's Win 11 which I am new to, but found it and am running it now.

It's weird, but I feel like the problem might have been the one, new RAM chip. The other new one is still in there, and I haven't checked that 16 gb are showing, yet. Each of the new ones I put in were 8gb. I so appreciate your direction because I had something I could try because you mentioned it all.

I won't go back to that shop again, and I think that they should have been able to go deeper and diagnose the issue. I'm kind of glad they failed me, because once again, with a little help, or a lot, I can do some things my self. If it's anything I need to purchase though, it's a magnitized screwdriver. I'll be back to see what the test says, but I feel like it's going to run for me again, hope hope hope! Denise

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
@nwgamelover

Glad it's working for you! RAM is one of those things that can be weird. Especially if you're adding to a system that may not be able to run those particular timings or speeds and run them with RAM previously installed. Doubly so if you're using a pre-built machine that aren't generally set up for end-user tinkering.

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
Looks like I forgot to send that last message to you, but this is replying to your last reply @CompuGuy71 :)

I got everything setup again (cords, and crawling under a desk, lol) so I hope this lasts. I did notice that it did the factory reset I was trying to do, and had chosen to save my settings and files. Glad of that as I don't think it was any of that causing the issues.

So now I'm not sure it was just the RAM but I really think it was that. I'm backing up with Macrium, to the unused original Hard drive as that was recommended when I filled the slot with the new SSD. Thanks again for all your help, and I hope maybe the thread will help someone else. I know I learned a lot (y):geek:

nwgamelover

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I'm sorry I have to ask one more question @CompuGuy71 .

When I looked into System Information, it looks like the computer has the D drive as the default drive and that's wrong if it is. It should be using my C drive "slot" with the new SSD?? Am I missing something, I mean besides a few marbles? :(

Windows does show I am using 16gb of Ram, or it's showing I mean.