[SOLVED] Pc Starts But No Boot Up

jacobmacheca411

Honorable
Jan 3, 2019
So I received an SSD (Samsung 980 NVMe M.2) and wanted to see if it was compatible with my current pc hardware. I inserted one end into the hard drive power cord on my PSU (EVGA 750 100-N1-0750-L1), forgetting my pc was running. It shut off. The green light signifying the pc was on was still on, but the fans stopped running, I immediately unplugged it (I realize now my mistakes) but when I tried to power it back on, I get no boot up beep and no signal on my monitors, but my fans (minus gpu fans) were still running. Tried running it without my GPU. No dice. I thought maybe it was my psu, so I replaced that with a copy of my current one. Same thing. I discovered a few pins on my processor were bent, so I tried bending them back. Fixed all but two, which broke off when I tried to bend them back. Same result. I need help to figure out if I can salvage my pc or if I need to just upgrade, which I was planning on saving up for, but will buy if I can’t get this fixed.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3, and my processor is a AMD FX 6300. My graphics card is an XFX Radeon RX 570 8GB. Would really prefer to be able to fix it, if possible

Solution
Yes, I tried to plug the NVMe into the sata power cable. I realized my mistake shortly afterwards, I had never dealt with an NVMe before, and didn’t know it went into the motherboard. Also the pins that were bent and the two that broke are at or next to the edge of the CPU. I’m currently in the process of resetting the CMOS to see if that helps

If the system was not posting after the mistake and that's before you check the CPU pins the system will not post.

Something fried. The NVMe is probably fried. You will have to test that NVMe in another system to be sure.

The PSU could be damaged from that. The board could be damaged. The HDD plugged on the same cable you tried could be fried too.

That system will have to be...
Let's start with that CPU. That CPU is dead. A few broken pins is a giveaway on that.

You will have to give more details. When you say you inserted one end into the hard drive power cord do you mean you tried to plug the NVMe into a SATA power cable?

You never ever plug or unplug something while the system is running. You definitively damaged something especially if you tried to plug that NVMe where it wasn't supposed to be plugged.

An NMVe is plugged on the motherboard M.2 slot. Not to a PSU cable.

At this point there is no way to tell what is broken except that CPU.

jacobmacheca411

Honorable
Jan 3, 2019
Let's start with that CPU. That CPU is dead. A few broken pins is a giveaway on that.

You will have to give more details. When you say you inserted one end into the hard drive power cord do you mean you tried to plug the NVMe into a SATA power cable?

You never ever plug or unplug something while the system is running. You definitively damaged something especially if you tried to plug that NVMe where it wasn't supposed to be plugged.

An NMVe is plugged on the motherboard M.2 slot. Not to a PSU cable.

At this point there is no way to tell what is broken except that CPU.
Yes, I tried to plug the NVMe into the sata power cable. I realized my mistake shortly afterwards, I had never dealt with an NVMe before, and didn’t know it went into the motherboard. Also the pins that were bent and the two that broke are at or next to the edge of the CPU. I’m currently in the process of resetting the CMOS to see if that helps

If the system was not posting after the mistake and that's before you check the CPU pins the system will not post.

Something fried. The NVMe is probably fried. You will have to test that NVMe in another system to be sure.

The PSU could be damaged from that. The board could be damaged. The HDD plugged on the same cable you tried could be fried too.

That system will have to be breadboarded with the bare minimum with a new CPU to even begin to be able to find what is the issue with it.

Could be the board that fried that makes the system not post. Could be the HDD if that's your boot drive because it was plugged on the same cable. Could be the PSU that died.

This will take patience and spare parts.

Solution

jacobmacheca411

Honorable
Jan 3, 2019

That system will have to be breadboarded with the bare minimum with a new CPU to even begin to be able to find what is the issue with it.

Could be the board that fried that makes the system not post. Could be the HDD if that's your boot drive because it was plugged on the same cable. Could be the PSU that died.

This will take patience and spare parts.
I’ve already replaced the PSU, so it’s not like that. And I haven’t plugged the NVMe back in since then. I unplugged it immediately after it turned off. I haven’t even tried to plug it back in

I’ve already replaced the PSU, so it’s not like that. And I haven’t plugged the NVMe back in since. I haven’t even tried

Anything in that system could be fried.

It's good that you replaced the PSU at least what gives the power was replaced.

Now that you replaced the PSU it still could be the HDD, the board, the CPU, the GPU or anything that had power when that happened.

If you have to buy a new CPU and/or board etc do you want to do that or do you want to just replace the board, CPU and RAM at this point?

Like I said troubleshooting this will take time and spare parts. You would need a new board to test, a new boot drive to test, a new cpu to test.

jacobmacheca411

Honorable
Jan 3, 2019
Anything in that system could be fried.

It's good that you replaced the PSU at least what gives the power was replaced.

Now that you replaced the PSU it still could be the HDD, the board, the CPU, the GPU or anything that had power when that happened.

If you have to buy a new CPU and/or board etc do you want to do that or do you want to just replace the board, CPU and RAM at this point?

Like I said troubleshooting this will take time and spare parts. You would need a new board to test, a new boot drive to test, a new cpu to test.
I was already going to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard and RAM eventually, but I’m still saving up for it. I could technically buy the parts right now if I wanted to, but I’m trying to avoid spending that money immediately. Also I’ve tried leaving either hard drive out and boot up but I got the same result

I was already going to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard and RAM eventually, but I’m still saving up for it. I could technically buy the parts right now if I wanted to, but I’m trying to avoid spending that money immediately. Also I’ve tried leaving either hard drive out and boot up but I got the same result

The board, CPU or GPU got damaged. A system can post with only CPU, GPU and 1 stick of RAM installed. If it's not posting with that only it's something in those parts.

With what you said it's 100% sure your CPU is dead with those 2 broken pins but that's something you did after you saw the system not posting. So maybe the CPU got damaged and it's your CPU or it's your board and the CPU was fine until you remove it or it's both.

That system will not post whatever you do right now.

TRENDING THREADS