PC starts for a few seconds, turns off for a few seconds before finally starting again

intp4w5

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hi, I have a new PC (less than a month old). After being plugged-in & pushing the power button, it starts for a sec (fans spinning, lights on), then turns off by itself for like 1-2 sec (fans stop spinning, lights off), then finally starts again all the way to boot then log-in screen.

I can't remember for sure if it has always been like this, but I just want to know if this is normal? Everything else seems fine (all components working, no heating/crashing, etc). It's just that I've been opening the case & installing some additional fans recently (which resulted into a busted fan controller, but that's another story).

Is it possible if there's a PSU problem, or perhaps I touched/moved some parts of the mobo, some loose connectors, etc? How can I know for sure? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Knowing for sure what is going on may not be easy. The behavior you describe, however, is within the range of normal. It is common for systems to perform a sort of test/partial power up when there has been a power loss or configuration change.

If your computer fully boots and everything works, I wouldn't worry about it.

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
It sounds like a power supply problem. The same thing can occur after a failed overclock on some motherboards, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. I'd make sure that the power supply connections to the motherboard and CPU are well-connected.

Knowing for sure what is going on may not be easy. The behavior you describe, however, is within the range of normal. It is common for systems to perform a sort of test/partial power up when there has been a power loss or configuration change.

If your computer fully boots and everything works, I wouldn't worry about it.

Solution

PapaWood

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Typically after a failed OC you get a prompt at the BIOS start up providing that info then gives you options on how to proceed. Maybe you can reset the BIOS to defaults/Clear CMOS. Worth a shot perhaps? Maybe verify you have the latest BIOS version too, as it can fix some odd bugs sometimes.

intp4w5

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
I'll check the PSU connections then stop worrying about it unless something goes haywire. Hopefully, it's not a PSU problem since it's a new Seasonic G750w. Thanks for the replies!

intp4w5

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

I haven't done any overclocking & yes, I unplug the PC after I shut it down. Could it be due to the fact that I simply press the power button off the CPU to turn it off instead of selecting shut down from the screen? Like I said, I've been testing fans lately, so every time I'm working inside the case, I just push the power button & unplug it instead of clicking shut down every time.

bgi123

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
Go loosen your motherboard screws a bit and try resitting the ram and gpu slots. You can simply loosen screws on the mobo first and try if it boots up, if not, then resit other components.

If that's what you are doing then what you are experiencing is the expected behavior. You should expect this sort of startup sequence any time you unplug your system.

(Do shutdown your computer-you can corrupt your OS just powering it off.)

intp4w5

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Okay, I guess just powering off my PC isn't something I supposed to do. I'll try to do a few boot-up, use it for a while, then shut down cycles and see if the behavior goes away, before I take some further measures (also to avoid accidentally creating new problems).

TRENDING THREADS