[SOLVED] PC starts only if I unplug it for a while and then start it again.

Jun 19, 2019
I don't really know where to post this but it seems that the power supply is the common suspect for this situation. It started a while ago when I put my PC to sleep and I tried to wake it up but nothing happened. I thought that it's a sleep mode and OS issue and I posted in a windows 10 thread. Here's the link:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nd-some-weird-behavior.3587151/#post-21654224

The thing is that this is not a sleep mode issue, I tried to do a normal shutdown and start the PC again but it didn't start just like with sleep mode. I have to unplug it and wait for a while (I Don't know how long exactly I have to keep it unplugged but it's not a short period for sure) then start it again for it to work.
What I mean when I say the PC won't start is that nothing happens, the motherboard LEDs work when the PSU is switched on, but the start button on the case doesn't do anything.

Here's something that confused me yet it might help. If I start my PC (Satisfying the conditions above) and windows loads, I shut it down again. If I start it, it works, and it's the same for sleep mode. Meaning that the issue only occurs after I use the PC for a while and something heats up or gets charged.

Here's what I tried:
Unplugging everything and holding the start button to discharge.
I stressed the system using Aida64 extreme for 2 hours and the PC worked perfectly. (Using only the FPU subtest)

Almost every post I found regarding a similar issue must suspect either the PSU or the CMOS. Here are some questions;
How can I test the PSU? knowing that it's definitely not dead because it works normally when the PC starts.
Do I HAVE to remove the CMOS manually? because my motherboard has clear RTC RAM jumpers. I'm asking because my CMOS is behind the GPU and I'll have to take the GPU out first so I can access it. (My GPU is big it's kinda troublesome)

Anything else I should test/do? Any other suspects in this situation?

Here's a drive that I shared in the old thread, it has a text file containing my full config:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zwdkgp39VZU8p3DM3g_31R9vKs5qK7gj?usp=sharing

Solution
You said it can start if of the power for a certain amount of time. I would try the bios update after the drivers and ME.

If hardware related could it be psu or motherboard. Hard to say, psu would be easiest to test. Since working fine if it starts would it maybe more likely a motherboard fault.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can you do the next to show what components?

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons
for psu maker+model+wattage.

Jun 19, 2019
Can you do the next to show what components?

for psu maker+model+wattage.
Sure here's the summary:

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K (Coffee Lake-S, U0)
3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 800 MHz (8.00x100.0)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING
BIOS: 1802, 01/18/2019
Chipset: Intel Z370 (Kaby Lake)
Memory: 8192 MBytes @ 1333 MHz, 16-18-18-35
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMR16GX4M2A2666C16
Graphics: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Gaming Advanced
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, 8192 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: WDC WD2000FYYZ-01UL1B1, 1953.5 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: Intel Kaby Lake - High Definition Audio / cAVS (Audio, Voice, Speech) [A0]
Sound: NVIDIA TU106 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: Intel Ethernet Connection I219-V
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 18363.476 (1909/November 2019 Update)

The PSU is Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 Fully modular
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-gold-650-full-modular/

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
i looked at your other post. have you tried opening the case and blowing it out. pull parts and shoot with air can like you would old cartridge games.

had pc would have to power cycle twice to boot. found out there was dust in ram slot blocking ram.

Jun 19, 2019
i looked at your other post. have you tried opening the case and blowing it out. pull parts and shoot with air can like you would old cartridge games.

had pc would have to power cycle twice to boot. found out there was dust in ram slot blocking ram.
Yes actually I took the chance to clean the whole Build a few days ago, I removed dust from all the parts but the problem still occurs.
I also suspected that some cable in the back might be causing a short circuit so I tried to start it while making sure that no cable is touching the case, but that didn't work too.

Jun 19, 2019
Not the best of psu, but also see that you have an older bios, might be good to update that.
TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING BIOS & FIRMWARE | Motherboards | ASUS USA
Update the chipset drivers first to the latest. Also is there an "ME update tool" between the bios, download it and use it to update the ME.

After the updates flash the bios to the latest.
Do you really think that the BIOS can cause such an issue? Because I don't get any feedback when I press the start button, the fans don't rotate at all. I can attach a video of the routine if you like.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You said it can start if of the power for a certain amount of time. I would try the bios update after the drivers and ME.

If hardware related could it be psu or motherboard. Hard to say, psu would be easiest to test. Since working fine if it starts would it maybe more likely a motherboard fault.

Solution
Jun 19, 2019

Okay then, I'll do the updates and let you know how it goes.

Jun 19, 2019

Quick question, Should I run the ME update tool before or after updating the BIOS?

Jun 19, 2019
Would do it before.
Okay so I updated the chipset and i run the ME update tool successfully. However when it finished it required reboot, the thing is that it closed but it didn't start again (because of the same issue i guess).
So now I'm waiting so i can start it again and see if everything is okay. My concern rn is updating the bios, what it finishes updating the bios and it reboots but it fails to start? Would it damage the motherboard?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can take the rtx out and use the igp/onboard gpu, gives less stress on the psu if that might be the problem. If it's the motherboard should it be rma'd anyway.

Also thought you said it would work fine when rebooting after little load and updatig the bios is little load.

In the end hard to say what you need to do,can only give you options. Can just rma of course and see if a new motherboard solves the problem.

Jun 19, 2019
Can take the rtx out and use the igp/onboard gpu, gives less stress on the psu if that might be the problem. If it's the motherboard should it be rma'd anyway.

Also thought you said it would work fine when rebooting after little load and updatig the bios is little load.

In the end hard to say what you need to do,can only give you options. Can just rma of course and see if a new motherboard solves the problem.
Okay so I successfully updated the BIOS to the latest this morning. The problem still occurs though. Anything else I should try?

Aug 8, 2023
I narrowed it to the PSU, I did the paper clip test for the PSU and it works, then I turn it off and on again and it doesn't work unless I keep it off for a while. So I'm pretty sure it's the PSU now.
Sorry for necro

I'm running into a similar issue. Did replacing your PSU solve your problem? Thanks