Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com
Hi,

I have a pretty strange issue, as stated above my PC starts lagging/stuttering after using Photoshop for about an hour.

The issue is most evident when moving my mouse. The movement is smooth and works just as expected as long as I'm not mousing over any sort of interactable object in any program, or moving the mouse across the border of any given program's window. It is also evident in that music starts acting up, as in playing back slightly slower than usual and then speeding up and so on. It is almost reminiscent of games with memory leaks.

The main problem is that this issue remains even after closing photoshop and terminating all processes related to both my tablet and adobe. Restarting the PC does resolve this issue, but obviously it comes back after running photoshop for a while. It does not occur in any other program that I have found so far, and I game quite frequently on this computer.

I reinstalled Windows to a new SSD just a day ago as of posting this, but keeping my HDD's untouched (they're mostly storing media anyway). This issue only started appearing quite recently, and I do not see any correlation between recent updates to neither drivers nor software. I have tried tracking my processes and hardware activity when the issue is present, and I haven't been able to see any sort of readout indicating that anything is struggling. No spiking, no high usages, everything reads out to be "working without any issues" as far as I can tell.

Someone did mention a corrupt brushset, which does match the timeframe for me personally - but I have a hard time seeing that this is the issue since the issue remains even after terminating all the processes. However, I will see if removing these brushes will aid in any way tomorrow.

I decided to post this now anyway, since I need it resolved ASAP as this is what I do for a living - and figured maybe someone has encountered a similar issue before.

Thank you for your help, I will update once I have tested this further.

SPECS:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - NZXT X63 Cooler
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero x370
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO SL 32GB (16GB x 2)
Chassis: Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB / Tempered Glass
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Drives:
Corsair Force MP510B SSD 480GB M.2 NVMe
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB / 256MB / 7200 RPM / ST2000DM008
Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB / 256MB / 5400 RPM / ST4000DM004

Monitors:
Svive Gaming Cygni
2x Benq GW2450HM

Graphics Tablet:
HUION Kamvas 22

Windows 10 Pro 21H1.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in your build. Include the age of the unit as well. What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What OS version(not edition) are you on for Windows 10? Mind sharing where you sourced the installer for your OS? In the interim period pertaining to (all)your drives, turn off Disk Defragmentation, then disable Drive Indexing and see if the issue persists.

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in your build. Include the age of the unit as well. What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What OS version(not edition) are you on for Windows 10? Mind sharing where you sourced the installer for your OS? In the interim period pertaining to (all)your drives, turn off Disk Defragmentation, then disable Drive Indexing and see if the issue persists.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll let you know if disabling Indexing and Defrag has any effect.

The PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750, I've used it since 2015-07.
BIOS was version 7704, I updated to 8101 just now - so I haven't seen if this has any effect yet.
OS is W10 Pro, 21H1 build 19043.1348.
I used Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, sourced from https://www.microsoft.com/sv-se/software-download/windows10

Last edited:

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com
So, I tried with all these fixes. Brushes removed, Defragging and Indexing disabled and BIOS updated. No success, same result. I also tried to keep track of running tasks, with no obvious culprit showing up.

Photoshop also crashed on me for the first time since forever, but that could be unrelated.

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com
Probably corruption in .NET or a C++ redistributable or other core Windows function that got replaced with the update.

It appears I didn't fix it. However I did have an error saying I was missing MSVCP140.dll and VSRUNTIME140.dll a couple times when starting my PC before upgrading to W11. This occured since it was trying to start Creative Cloud. I think I just repaired the C++ redistributable and reinstalled Creative Cloud to get it to start again.

I uninstalled all C++ redistributables, and reinstalled them from Microsoft's page. So we'll see if that solves anything... Any other ideas to be extra sure?

Nov 18, 2021
Hey I cant be much help here because i also have this same issue, but just wanna add my 2 cents. Started back when I updated from 2019 cc. Pc lags alot with any version after that with all resources being under 20%, even with photoshop being closed, have to restart pc to fix lag. I have had issues with every photoshop update since 2019 Im curious if any of these things will work so ill try them as well. If we can't figure the issue out I highly recommend installing 2019 cc. And if posting specs will help, I can do so.

Nov 18, 2021
Update* for me anyways talked with adobe support they told me to directly install the nividia drivers from the website instead of the geforce app, and what would you know even though the driver version was the same it fixed the issue. No idea why hopefully this fixes it for you too

Reactions: Habbelfisk

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com
Update* for me anyways talked with adobe support they told me to directly install the nividia drivers from the website instead of the geforce app, and what would you know even though the driver version was the same it fixed the issue. No idea why hopefully this fixes it for you too
Sorry for being inactive, I really appreciate the input. Really strange issue isn't it - did you uninstall the GeForce app as well? I use the app for capturing highlights, but if this solves the issue then it will definitely be worth it. It takes a couple hours to see if it actually does work, so I will make sure to update you all tomorrow.

Nov 18, 2021
Sorry for being inactive, I really appreciate the input. Really strange issue isn't it - did you uninstall the GeForce app as well? I use the app for capturing highlights, but if this solves the issue then it will definitely be worth it. It takes a couple hours to see if it actually does work, so I will make sure to update you all tomorrow.
I didnt uninstall the app, all i did was install the drivers from nividias website. Turns out theres a bug with windows 11 where if you update your gpu drivers through the app for nividia or amd it doesn't properly install. Granted i had this same issue with win 10 also, Microsoft got to love them... But im happy that its finally fixed, I hope that this will fix the issue for you also. Gl

Habbelfisk

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2015
cvnart.com
I didnt uninstall the app, all i did was install the drivers from nividias website. Turns out theres a bug with windows 11 where if you update your gpu drivers through the app for nividia or amd it doesn't properly install. Granted i had this same issue with win 10 also, Microsoft got to love them... But im happy that its finally fixed, I hope that this will fix the issue for you also. Gl
I did a clean install of the drivers from Nvidias website, as usual PC ran smoothly for about 2 hours in photoshop. Just now started to act up, getting more and more stuttery and laggy the longer I'm on Photoshop. I might have to try Adobe or Microsoft support as well.

Oddly we do seem to have the same issue, but I was running Photoshop 2021 and 2022 both without issues. It started seemingly out of nowhere (which obviously isn't the case) when I was using PS 2021, which is why I tried updating to 2022 as well as Windows 11.