PC starts up, monitor doesn't show no display(black screen), keyboard and mouse not working either. What to do?

proist

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
it happened as I restarted my computer, I believe it has to do something with explorer.exe because before I restarted my everything was doing fine, and at the same minute I restarted I read something quickly about "explorer.exe" not working or something, well i don't know specific what it said but I can assure you that it looked bad..

also keep in mind before this.. I uinstalled my AVG.. maybe it prevented a virus when I had it installed? and after i uinstalled it it let the virus come out?

so yeah, can someone help i'm desperate.

ive tried changing ram slots, re-inserting etc. and putting my GPU out and trying to use the moba to show display but that didnt either way

and something strange happened yesterday, i had my my computer on and suddenly the display came up, i could access it but before the login came up it went black screen again.

I'm on windows 10 technical preview btw.

the PC also turns off and on after around 2 minutes or less, its very random, if i just keep it on with no display.

help please :( my worst start on the winterbreak ever :/

xero99

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Try resetting the CMOS on your motherboard. There should be a little plastic cap thing somewhere on the motherboard that you need to move to the pins next to it for a few seconds then back to the original pins. Check in your motherboard manual as it tells you where it is and how to do it.

proist

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

ok I found the CMOS on my motherboard through the instructions, ill try this out ill post whetever it works or not, thanks.

proist

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
http://i.imgur.com/k6eeqzG.jpg

ok this comes up now, and when I click f2 to continue, it sounds like the computer is working hard and then suddenly it turns itself off and the pc restarts with black screen..

same thing with f1, any ideas?? ;/

atleast I know that I can get my pc up and running now though lol

xero99

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013

If you put your hand around the pc when it turns on is it hot? could overheating be an issue? If you have any spare parts it would be worth swapping around the PSU or trying a new HDD to see if these parts could be faulty. Also, double check all the cables and make sure everything's plugged in properly so that nothings come lose.

May 18, 2013
It could be a lot of problems that can cause your PC to not boot up properly. If you cleared the CMOS and reset your motherboard back to its defaults, but you did at least get a response from the PC, then you can probably rule that out. It may not be a bad motherboard (though there is a chance it still is...how's that for vague?) It sounds like the RAM is alright, since when RAM goes it typically degrades slowly at first and to such a degree that you sense something not so good is happening before it cascades and quickly just stops working. RAM can usually be caught quickly and replaced before it leads to system failure. It's hard to tell if the GPU went bad since it won't display, but if the motherboard doesn't display either it leads us back to the motherboard. However if a CMOS is enough to get you to BIOS then the board and its internal display port is probably alright. I'm thinking that Windows 10 Technical Preview may be the culprit since it's not officially released. It may still have bugs and other performance problems as it's really just an open beta version. Have you experienced any problems before upgrading to the new OS? Can you roll it back to your previous OS? Let us know so we can get this issue fixed once and for all!