Question PC Starts up, reaches CPU debug LED, then shuts off immediately.

Jun 25, 2020
Hey all!
I’ve been working to troubleshoot this for a few hours and could really use a fresh set of eyes!
My setup is
-AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
-GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Pro Wifi ATX AM4
-G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb (2x8)
-Asus GeForce 2080 Super 8GB Strix Advanced Edition
-Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze
-Corsair H115i Platinum AIO Liquid Cooler

I was able to have the new pc run for about an hour and then it crashed! Now it won’t turn get past the debug led for the cpu and then it shuts off immediately from there!

Things I’ve done so far
-Paperclip test PSU
-attempting booting with either ram
-removing gpu and attempting to boot
-clearing CMOS
-breadboxing the whole setup
Edit: just flashed the mobo and same result
All yielded the same outcome!

I’m not really sure what my next step is, I’m looking at ordering a replacement CPU, but my main worry is that the mobo might be defective? Everything was brand new so there’s no prior wear and tear on anything! I have reached out to have the mobo RMA'd but if there is another issue that is happening, mostly one that I could solve, I would rather not send it through such an arduous process!

Thanks!
Ms. Ria Cayde

Last edited:
check the CPU socket of the motherboard and the CPU pins for discolored or bent pins

while bread boarding, did you place it on a non conductive surface? no packaging or similar

try a newer power supply

do you use the original cables of this PSU to connect everything?

Check cabling again, ATX12V 8pin as well

Reactions: Ms Ria Cayde
Jun 25, 2020
check the CPU socket of the motherboard and the CPU pins for discolored or bent pins

while bread boarding, did you place it on a non conductive surface? no packaging or similar

try a newer power supply

do you use the original cables of this PSU to connect everything?

Check cabling again, ATX12V 8pin as well

I breadboard on a wooden table, and the mobo itself is on a Styrofoam sheet!

I'm going to test a new PSU when it arrives this week, otherwise I would do that sooner!

I used the original cables from the PSU, its semimodular so I cant replace the 24pin or the ATX12V with this PSU but I'll double check that everything is in tight.

Jun 25, 2020
Styrofoam sheet from packaging?
It was from the GPU case, but I also tried it without having the foam below it and still the same result.

I double checked all the pins on the CPU and everything was lined up perfectly and none were missing.
I do have my PSU coming today so I’ll be able to check it tonight after work!

Jun 25, 2020
Styrofoam sheet from packaging?
Quick update? I changed the PSU, still the same issue. I changed the ram, still the same issue. If I remove the ram it halts at the DRAM LED and stays on. The second I add the ram, it cycles through CPU LED, then DRAM, then VGA, and when it switched from VGA back to CPU/BOOT it just shuts off immediately.

no, the GPU has to be plugged in because your CPU doesn´t provide an integrated graphics unit and therefore the motherboard´s video ports are not usable.
Plug in the GPU, plug in its 2 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors from the PSU and the monitor cable to a GPU port

Jun 25, 2020
no, the GPU has to be plugged in because your CPU doesn´t provide an integrated graphics unit and therefore the motherboard´s video ports are not usable.
Plug in the GPU, plug in its 2 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors from the PSU and the monitor cable to a GPU port
I just gave that a shot, still the same issue. GPU loaded onto the Mobo with its 2x8 PCIe, I tried it both with and without RAM installed but no change in the issue. I'm partly believing that it was either faulty or my Corsair PSU might have done something to brick the system. I've been testing with a ThermalTake PSU just incase but still nothing. Side note, neither the SSD or HDD were installed, which I realise is a huge oversight on my part if they need to be?

Last edited: