M.board - Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
GPU - XFX Radeon Double D R9 280X
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3
HDD - Crucial_CT 111GB
SSD - TEAM L5 LITE SSD 480GB
PSU - Corsair CS450M
OS - Windows 7 x64 Premium
Liquid cooler, 3 fans and a CD-ROM slot

Lately my rig would occasionally freeze when trying to open a program, discord and even opening task manager have caused it. Not a full freeze at first, as I can move my mouse and use ctrl+alt+del but can't open any programs or shut down safely. It turns back on fine but as of yesterday opening ANY software, including web browser, will cause it again.

I mostly play Escape From Tarkov and noticed memory leaks after closing out (only from this one game) so my first thought was to clear out as many running background applications as possible. I got my average idle memory down from 2 to 1.3GB and was was able to rule out faulty RAM by running memtest86 twice when it didnt crash 100% of the time.

Now I am thinking it's either a PSU or GPU issue, as I built this some time ago and those parts haven't held up as well as the rest by current standards. CPU is quite old as well according to passmark. I dont have any spare parts to swap and test out, and would prefer to buy parts one at a time. If anybody has any ideas where to go from here and which part is most likely at fault, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS