Question PC starts up with no display and doesn't turn off

sting_ray

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
I recently bought a used pc. Before buying it I turned it on and the pc booted normally. Since the cable management was crap i took everything out, wiped it down, and put everything back after a few weeks when I got an rtx 3060. The pc booted up, but when I ran a benchmark the temperature rocketed immediately to 90 and a few seconds later it showed no display. I thought this was a cpu problem so I replaced it with another ( Ryzen 5 3500x). I noticed that the socket and cpu were not hot at all, so I thought maybe the mobo was incorrectly judging temperature. When I put in the new cpu, the same boot and benchmark happened. I then reset and updated bios. After this the pc starts up but shows no display and it doesn't turn off, even with the original ryzen 5 3600. Mobo speaker doesn't beep. Even with no ram or gpu, it doesn't reboot loop.

Current Specs:

Asrock b450 steel legend
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 3060
Corsair RM 750x
Hyper x fury 16gb ram (3200mhz)

Things I've tried:

Different cpu (Ryzen 5 3500x)
Different ram (Samsung 2133mhz)
Clear CMOS
Different GPU (GTX 1060)
Different PSU ( Antec 600w)
Taking everything out and putting a breadboard setup

Pretty sure this is a mobo problem but before I get a new one just wanted some advice

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I recently bought a used pc. Before buying it I turned it on and the pc booted normally. Since the cable management was crap i took everything out, wiped it down, and put everything back after a few weeks when I got an rtx 3060. The pc booted up, but when I ran a benchmark the temperature rocketed immediately to 90 and a few seconds later it showed no display. I thought this was a cpu problem so I replaced it with another ( Ryzen 5 3500x). I noticed that the socket and cpu were not hot at all, so I thought maybe the mobo was incorrectly judging temperature. When I put in the new cpu, the same boot and benchmark happened. I then reset and updated bios. After this the pc starts up but shows no display and it doesn't turn off, even with the original ryzen 5 3600. Mobo speaker doesn't beep. Even with no ram or gpu, it doesn't reboot loop.

Current Specs:

Asrock b450 steel legend
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 3060
Corsair RM 750x
Hyper x fury 16gb ram (3200mhz)

Things I've tried:

Different cpu (Ryzen 5 3500x)
Different ram (Samsung 2133mhz)
Clear CMOS
Different GPU (GTX 1060)
Different PSU ( Antec 600w)
Taking everything out and putting a breadboard setup

Pretty sure this is a mobo problem but before I get a new one just wanted some advice

When you took it apart the first time, did you remove the heatsink and cpu from the motherboard?

sting_ray

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
The cpu fan spins and works fine. The gpu fans on the 3060 keep spinning, but with the gtx 1060, the fan spins and stops, then repeats. Ofc the device is plugged in, just no display shows up.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
ESD is "Electro Static Discharge". It's what you get when you touch a sensitive electronic device while you have a buildup of static electricity. I'll never forget back in the 80's when I sat down to play with my dad's 8088 IBM clone and I touched the all metal keyboard and I felt ZAP and 4 or 5 keys never worked again.

But if it's summer there and humidity levels are pretty high, ESD USUALLY isn't a problem. Best advice I can give you is to take it all back apart, and put it all back together again double and triple checking every part, every cable, making sure the ram is fully seated, ect

sting_ray

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
Already reseated and replugged everything. I'm suspecting a problem with the bios update and whatever checks the heat of the cpu. Everything points to a new mobo 😞

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Most of them are pretty good nowadays about rejecting an incorrect bios flash file...I've been working on pc's for a LONG time, and flashed MANY bios, and never had a problem with one bricking, personally. Though I have heard of it happening if there's a power problem or something during the flashing process, sometimes they go awry. But it's very, very unusual.

sting_ray

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
To make sure the psu works, i connected it to another pc and it worked fine after showing an error message saying something about powering off. When i disconnected it and then connected it to the original setup with the ascrock b450m steel legend and ryzen 5, it booted up!!