pc startup randomly can't find boot device and USB issues.

quektis

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Hi,

I've been having some issues with my desktop computer which seem to have gradually gotten worse over the last couple of years.

I first started having USB issues. When too many USB devices were plugged in they would all suddenly stop working until I would reboot. This still happens and seems to have gotten worse. Sometimes I can get them all to work, sometimes not, it varies. I'm at the point now though that I can no longer run my oculus rift headset with both sensors plugged in at the same time.

More recently my pc refuses to boot, I get some sort of "can't find boot device" message when I boot the pc and have to turn it on and off loads of times until it magically decides to work again. This usually happens when I leave the computer off for a while.

I'm assuming both these problems are linked somehow. My power supply is an 850 and a couple years ago I was able to run the rift with keyboard, sensors and mouse plugged in, no problem. So I don't see why that would be the issue.

I'm thinking this is an issue with my motherboard. If anyone could throw in some suggestions on what to do. I'm hoping it's not dying on me. The desktop is about 6 years old. Could the CMOS battery be dead? Maybe my bios needs resetting? couldn't find the option to do so in the bios.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Solution
It might be a coincidence but I was helping someone that was having issues with the Oculus and he also had a Gigabyte motherboard. Maybe the USB 3.0 ports are not able to provide the power or current required by the sensors.

We used a powered USB hub and no more issues.

That USB issue seems related to power, not enough to power devices or a short on a USB port. When the motherboard detects the short won't power to protect peripherals .
Could you post your system specs ( with model #s).

The voltages look normal.
Keep HWMonitor open and you should check them often, specially when you're connecting USB devices.
Look at the voltages a see if they oscillate.

It might be a coincidence but I was helping someone that was having issues with the Oculus and he also had a Gigabyte motherboard. Maybe the USB 3.0 ports are not able to provide the power or current required by the sensors.

We used a powered USB hub and no more issues.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS