Question PC stays on longer the more down time it has...

Jul 14, 2021
SPECS:
Motherboard: MSI B450 gaming plus
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Sapphire Pulse rx590
RAM: 16 gb DDR4 Viper RGB (2 x8 gb)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart Gold 600w

Alright, a storm recently knocked power out in my area. I was without electricity for 6 days, when power was restored I plugged in my surge protector but waited an hour before turning my pc on. At first I got no power at all. I left it plugged in, went to work the next day and when I got home and tried it again it worked. Stayed on for a few hours and then it just shutdown. When I tried booting up after that it would literally just flick on and back off.

I tested the motherboard and it was fine, tested the power supply and that was fine as well. The next day I woke up and tried again and it was back to getting no power at all. I took it to a pc repair store and the tech tested the power supply and motherboard himself and said they were both in working order. He reconnected everything and tried it and the system powered on again and ran like normal.

Fast forward and I brought it home, set it up and powered on, it ran like normal for the rest of the day. I shut it down and went to bed, woke up this morning and tried it again. Came on like normal, ran for a few hours and then it shutdown by itself and went back to flicking on and off whenever I try to power it on. I'm finding that it stays on longer the longer I leave it turned off. If I try to power it on immediately after it shutdown it will just flick on and off.

If I give it a few hours between attempts it will run for a few hours before shutting down again. This lead me to believe it was a temperature issue so I monitored temps the last time I powered it on, CPU temp was 41 degrees and GPU temp was 38 degrees. My system usually runs silent but since this morning I find that whenever i power it on one of the fans I running on high.

Last edited:
Please add your PSU brand and model to your specs.
So when you took PC to repair store it was 'resting' for at least few hours? No wonder why it worked there and passed all tests. What you should do is run your machine until it powers off and then immediately take it to repair shop. Only in that state any testing will be meaningful. But if I were to guess right now, I would blame PSU. It may be temp issue, sure, but you should be testing PSU temp.

Jul 14, 2021
Please add your PSU brand and model to your specs.
So when you took PC to repair store it was 'resting' for at least few hours? No wonder why it worked there and passed all tests. What you should do is run your machine until it powers off and then immediately take it to repair shop. Only in that state any testing will be meaningful. But if I were to guess right now, I would blame PSU. It may be temp issue, sure, but you should be testing PSU temp.
Added the PSU. Thanks, knew I was forgetting something.

You mention you used/use a surge surpressor. Bypass it if it's still in the equation to rule it out. Try the PC in another room (different circuit in the house) to rule that out. Finallý, ya, had bad experience with ThrrmalTake psu's, so rule out that it's not flakey

Jul 14, 2021
I've tried plugging it directly into the wall and in virtually every other room except the bathroom. Going to borrow a psu from a friend of mine tomorrow to test it for a few days.

Jul 14, 2021
Update: I woke up this morning and tried the system, instead of flicking on and off it has once again returned to not giving any power at all. No lights on the motherboard, the psu doesn't even buzz...

I went and I borrowed a psu (EVGA 600w Bronze) from a friend of mine. Disconnected all my cables from my system and connected the EVGA. When I power on I still get absolutely nothing. No lights on motherboard, no flicking on and off... Nothing at all.