[SOLVED] PC stays running but doesn't output any display or sound

G59toDeath

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
I'm having an issue with my system where it randomly shuts off everything accept the PC itself. I've tried pulling it all apart and reseating everything. Read that people got new PSU and that fixed it. So I got a new one and it did nothing. I've also tried flashing the bios and that didn't do anything. All of the thermals are way below thermal throttling. Built this system new about a year ago and I keep up with all the maintenance. Could have the GPU or MOBO already taken a crap? In need of help.
Specs:
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: EVGA GTX 1660 ti XC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 3200
SSD: ADATA XPG Pro 1TB M.2
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
Cooling: Corsair Kraken X62 AIO
PSU: EVGA 650W G5 80+ Gold

Last edited:
Solution
I have to do a hard reset. And then it starts up like normal.
This is an unusual problem. I have never heard of both video and audio going out at the same time for no obvious reason. I don't think anything is physically broken on your machine, it's more likely a problem with drivers. The only thing i can suggest is to reinstall the graphics drivers.

G59toDeath

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
Does it randomly shut off while you are using it or just while it is idle?
Do you get your sound from a set of external speakers or through your monitor speakers?

It’ll shut off while running programs and when it’s idle. Right before I put this up I went to get water and when I came back, the monitors were off. I get audio from either my usb headset or hd audio going to a receiver.

G59toDeath

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
It’ll shut off while running programs and when it’s idle. Right before I put this up I went to get water and when I came back, the monitors were off. I get audio from either my usb headset or hd audio going to a receiver.
I have to do a hard reset. And then it starts up like normal.

G59toDeath

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
This is an unusual problem. I have never heard of both video and audio going out at the same time for no obvious reason. I don't think anything is physically broken on your machine, it's more likely a problem with drivers. The only thing i can suggest is to reinstall the graphics drivers.
I’ll do that tomorrow and let you know if that helps.

matt_carley23

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
I'm having the same problem. I've run Stress tests and benchmark tests. No temperature issues and no spikes or drops in voltage. I ran Kombuster while burning my cpu and it replicated the problem. Only thing that seems to. Happens mostly when playing games but has also started happening when running simple apps. Here's my system specs:

Intel Core i5-4690K
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
G.Skill Trident X 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3-2400 CL10 Memory
Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8 GB Tri-X OC Video Card
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Windows 10

I should note that I’ve already updated all my drivers prior to posting and it hasn’t helped. Could this be related to a Windows update?