Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Hi so I recently built a ryzen 5 PC build. My specs are

Ryzen 5 1400
Asus PRIME B350M-A
Corsair CX 450M
Rx550 LP
Thermaltake Versa H15

When I try to turn on my PC nothing happens. There is a motherboard led saying that it gets power but no matter how many times I pressed the power button the PC still wouldn't boot. I then rma'd the motherboard and just got a new one back. I assembled it and it still only shows the led and doesn't boot. Does anyone have an idea on how to get this thing working? Thanks

Solution

If you have no speaker to hear the beep codes, how do you know that they are not being generated?
You do as you think best. It is your machine and you need to decide how much time and effort you want to put into troubleshooting the issue. Be advised that switching to a new platform only resolves the issue you are having with this build, and does NOT guarantee that the new platform won't have issues of its own. YMMV.
Good luck...

Go here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
Work through the list. WORK! not just read!
If you still have issues, come back here with the individual results of EACH step in the list. since we can neither see nor touch your PC, the results provide information and data that can eliminate possibilities and common errors and allow us to give you a reasoned diagnosis. Help us to help you!

Vcvc16

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Hi rathalos I have the corsair vengeance LPX 8gb 2400mhz. On asus's website it says that the model that I have is indeed compatible with my mother

Also yes I have gone through the checklist and it still isn't booting. I do have all the standoffs in the correct place. I have tried booting it on the actual cardboard box and it wouldn't turn on at all. The only thing that is on is the LED lights on the MB. I have the ATX and cpu power connectors connected and secured. I have made sure that the connections are very secure and it still won't turn on. I've even made sure that my power switch isn't defective by using a screwdriver to short out the pins to turn it on. I feel like it might be the MB's bios or cpu incompatibility since i already rma'd the board. My PSU isn't the problem since I can boot up my other pc with this PSU.

What were the INDIVIDUAL step results? We can't give a reasoned diagnosis without ALL the results from the checklist!

Vcvc16

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Ok so

1st step: yes I have carefully read the motherboard manual. It doesn't have any troubleshooting section :(.
2: Yes I have the ATX and CPU cables plugged in. I have checked that they are secure.
3: My motherboard only has 6 standoffs so I put them in the correct spots and checked to see if i had and extras that were screwed in. I didn't.
4: I haven't put it on the motherboard yet. I should boot without it though, right?
5: I haven't connected the video card yet but it is a low profile card that doesn't need extra power cables.
6: I only have one stick of ram and tried putting it in every single slot without success.
7: Yes all of my memory sticks are secured onto the motherboard.
8: Yes it says that I should put it on 1B so I put it on 1B.
9: There isn't a socket protector on AMD.
10: Yes the arrows are pointing in the right position to the motherboard.
11: There are no bent pins on the CPU.
12: I put a small bit of thermal paste on the cpu (pea sized) because i removed the old paste.
13: Yeah the CPU fan is plugged in.
14: Used my own thermal paste.
15: No screws or wires under the motherboard.
16: I have an antistatic strap that i grounded onto the PSU that is plugged in but isn't on.\
17: There isn't a speaker.
18: Yeah the little wires are plugged into the right places. I even plugged the reset switch onto the power pin to see if the power switch is faulty.
19: Yes the PSU is getting power and is ON.
20: I have no idea what BIOS version my MB is. Might be the cause of my no boot problem.
21: I have tried resetting the CMOS.
22: Ryzen doesn't have an integrated graphics.
23: All of my RAM and GPU were tight on their slots. I did try booting with only the CPU and Motherboard and PSU with no luck.

I am really stuck right now. It's either my CPU isn't supported by BIOS, maybe CPU problem, or my luck is so bad I have 2 DOA motherboards. :(

Vcvc16

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
I did notice, however, that when I switch off the PSU the motherboard's leds shuts off in about 1-2 seconds. My other PC would take about 20 seconds before all the lights would turn off.

#4 -- Ryzen has no integrated graphics, so no you can't boot without it.
#17 -- The speaker is very important. It provides the "beep codes" that tell us exactly what is wrong with the motherboard.
#20 -- The BIOS version is usually displayed during bootup. Ryzen without a display adapter won't show this.

All in all, Put the video card in. Hopefully it will fix the problem or show you more information about the problems.

Vcvc16

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015

Ok so I just put in the GPU without any luck. When I put the GPU in and try to start the system nothing happens. I don't think that beep codes would work if the system actually doesn't even power on? Who knows :^)

Maybe I'll just return the MB and cpu to get an Intel i5 7500 instead with a b250m

If you have no speaker to hear the beep codes, how do you know that they are not being generated?
You do as you think best. It is your machine and you need to decide how much time and effort you want to put into troubleshooting the issue. Be advised that switching to a new platform only resolves the issue you are having with this build, and does NOT guarantee that the new platform won't have issues of its own. YMMV.
Good luck whit whatever decision you make!

Solution