AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + DEEP COOL Gammaxx GTE
GIGABYTE B450 Gaming X
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 16GB (2 X 8GB), 3200MHz
EVGA RTX 2070 Black Edition
Kingston 240GB SSD + WD BLUE SSD 500GB + WD BLUE HDD 1 TB
BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX + SEASONIC M12II EVO 620w 80+ Bronze
Viewsonic VX3276-2K-MHD +
Edifier R1280DB speakers

A week or so ago I reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC + all new drivers, apps, etc. Basically a brand new and clean installation. During this week I been playing a bit to Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Snowrunner without any issues.

Today I have been using my PC for about 1 hour and a half, and I tried to play ETS 2 again. The game starts ok, I drive the road like usual and then, out of sudden, its freeze with a continuous noise coming out of the speakers.
Only thing I can do is hit the power button, nothing else works.

I have tried this two times with same results (just differente amount of time before freezing).
Then I downloaded and run Heaven benchmark, while having hwinfo open. The benchmark also freeze (with the same noise) and I was able to take a picture of hwinfo with my phone, since I could not get control of my PC and have to restart again using brute force (as a note, I tried Heaven with full screen and windows mode with lower resolution, the same result each time).

D5WgmTE.jpg

PSU is old (july, 2016).

I also tried runing Cinebench R20 in a loop for 10 mins without any issues. (But I will test again for longer just to be sure).

Any ideas ?

Thank you.

Temperatures aren't alarming. Next suspect would be the PSU, which is a not-particularly good group-regulated one and as you say, pretty old.

Yes, Im thinking the same thing.....

I have a 1 year old EVGA 600Watts W2 80 plus model, which its worst than the Seasonic (only used to power on a Athlon 3000G PC). Its almost new since I really didn't used or stressed the other system at all.

I guess is ok, just to try it out with Heaven benchmark and see what happend?, What do you think ?

Thank you!

EDIT: 20 mins of looping Cinbench R20 wihtout any issues.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yes, Im thinking the same thing.....

I have a 1 year old EVGA 600Watts W2 80 plus model, which its worst than the Seasonic (only used to power on a Athlon 3000G PC). Its almost new since I really didn't used or stressed the other system at all.

I guess is ok, just to try it out with Heaven benchmark and see what happend?, What do you think ?

Thank you!

EDIT: 20 mins of looping Cinbench R20 wihtout any issues.

For brief testing, it's fine, but I *really* would not use it as a replacement past this.

Reactions: RodroX
After a quick search, considering we don't have many option where I live (Argentina), I believe this one should be more than enough for my current system, and way better quality than the unit I have now, right?

The price is not great, but decent.

I will see if I can test with the EVGA PSU tomorrow and if that works, then I guess the PSU is the issue and I will have to buy a replacement unit.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Good day everyone.

Today I did a deep clean of the PC, and then put in the EVGA PSU.

With it, I run 4 loops of Heaven without freezing. Then I also did a 10 mins loop of Cinbench R20 while watching a youtube video and having several browser tabs open (including this one), no problems there either.

I finally run Snowrunner for almost 10 mins without issues (2560x1440p, details on ultra/high).

I believe at this point its fair to say that the PSU is the culprit here?

Thank you!

Well back with an Update.

Today I got my new PSU, Corsair RM750x.

Installed the thing and then:
1. run 10 mins loop of Cinebench R20 _____ Result: OK
2. run 20 mins loop of Heaven bechmark at max resolution _____ Result: OK
3. run 10 mins loop of Heaven and Cinbeench at the same time_____ Result: OK

Then I used my PC for work for about 6 hours and lastly I played 20 mins of Snowrunner just to test. All of that OK.

In short, it seems the PSU was the issue.

Thank you all.

I would love to pick post #2 as the best answer but I guess I didn't make this one as a "question" so I can't see the right options to do it.

Cheers!