[SOLVED] PC stopped booting after mysterious incident.

Feb 25, 2019
Well this will be my first post here so, Hello to all.

First a set of specs for good measure:
Mobo: msi Z270-A pro
Cpu: Intel core I5 7600k
Ram: g.skill ripjaws 3200mhz 16gb(2x8 config)
Gpu: evga gtx 1060 6gb superclocked (single fan card)
Psu: rosewill arc 450 watt 80+ Bronze

Now on to the story:

My pc had started acting up in many different ways since last year, they didn't happen one after another.

First, the hard drive failed but I had got it working properly again.

Second, windows failed to boot and I had to wipe the os and start fresh(p.s. This has happened multiple times).

Third, my gpu would not be detected by my pc sometimes, this was usually remedied by shutting down and restarting.

So needless to say, I've had a few issues over a year or 2. But today I experienced something very odd, today I decided to turn on my pc to power my charging cable for my phone with the monitor off(something I've done many times with out issue). But after a little while I started hearing a loud noise coming from the machine, I went over to my pc to see that my fans where running at full throttle. At first I thought it was my optical drive from how fast it sounded but no cd was inserted, but at this point my concern was growing so I shut down my pc by pressing and holding the power button and then flipping the psu switch when off. Now I switch the power on and power up my pc and at this point turned on my monitor and... Nothing, the pc starts up fine and dandy but no video output from the mobo or gpu. I've cleared cmos, tried different monitors and took out the gpu and still nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

UPDATE: I woke up this morning to see what my pc would do this time I had the monitor on, I powered it up and she booted to bios, after a little while the screen went black and I heard fans at full throttle. However, this time I checked all 4 fans that I knew were running and I narrowed it down to my gpu fan. My gpu is running at max speed and video output is dead, its not the hard drive it's not the case fans, it's not even the cpu fan. I'm starting to suspect my card might have met its maker.

Last edited:
Solution
FIrst thing to likely try would be another known good PSU of adequate wattage...

600 watt PSUs are not expensive... (I'd rather have 300 watts to spare than hope my 450 watt PSU is not struggling with even a 300 watt continuous load...) perhaps you can borrow a good PSU before buying one, I know nobody likes buying extra components, but, please don't think that because a rig 'powers on/fans turn, etc' that it's PSU must be good. (Far from it; likewise, the $10 "PSU testers" that test a PSU with no load on it whatsoever are just short of worthless)
FIrst thing to likely try would be another known good PSU of adequate wattage...

600 watt PSUs are not expensive... (I'd rather have 300 watts to spare than hope my 450 watt PSU is not struggling with even a 300 watt continuous load...) perhaps you can borrow a good PSU before buying one, I know nobody likes buying extra components, but, please don't think that because a rig 'powers on/fans turn, etc' that it's PSU must be good. (Far from it; likewise, the $10 "PSU testers" that test a PSU with no load on it whatsoever are just short of worthless)

Solution
Feb 25, 2019
Thanks for the response. Your absolutely right about the psu situation, and in fact I am getting some money together to buy a modular seasonic 620 watt. As it stands now however, I will need to try some other fixes while I get that seasonic unit ordered.