[SOLVED] PC stopped working after 2 years

Mar 28, 2020
So I was in my phone, and computer went to sleep (I think it did, I'm not so sure now). I pressed my keyboard to wake it up. Nothing happened. Moved and clicked my mouse. Nothing happened. Decided to hold down my power button to turn it off, waited a few seconds and turned back on, the power light came on but nothing else happened, no fan spins, no other noise or lights, just the power light. Decided to turn off the PSU and turn that on again after few seconds. Same thing happened, just the power light came on.

I've now opened up the PC, tested all my ram slots with both of my sticks (did it all 1 at a time) and unplugged and replugged every power cable from my PSU and whatever its plugged into. Still nothing. I've reset the CMOS and even removed the battery (not replaced with a new one yet but my CMOS should definitely have reset and I don;t think the batter should be dead after under 3 years.

I talked to my Dad and he said to leave the CMOS battery out and completely disconnect the power for 24 hours and see if that works. I have a suspicion the CPU might be dead. I have no idea why it would have died but just due to the system not making any noise at all, this is what I suspect. I'm going to find a new CMOS battery on amazon or something and try that when it arrives and then if that doesn't work, is there anything else I can try to fix the issue. I'm fairly sure its not a power problem as there are lights that are turned on on the motherboard.

My Mother board is an Asus strix h270F
CPU is intel core i5-7500 7th gen
I have a Radeon RX580 graphics card (I dont think that the issue, I got it 2nd hand but I did all the troubleshooting with and without it in the PC)
And my PSU is an EVGA one, cant remember what model but it's gold rated 600W I think (again I dont think its the PSU as the motherboard clearly has power and the power light turns on).
I did build it my self roughly 2 years ago now.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I did the paperclip test on my power supply and when i turned the fan would do a little jerk movement at the moment the switch was flicked and that was it. I think this means the power supply is dead (even though it still provided power to my motherboard as there were lights on it). I've got a new power supply on the way, hopefully that'll sort it.

Last edited:
Solution
So I was in my phone, and computer went to sleep (I think it did, I'm not so sure now). I pressed my keyboard to wake it up. Nothing happened. Moved and clicked my mouse. Nothing happened. Decided to hold down my power button to turn it off, waited a few seconds and turned back on, the power light came on but nothing else happened, no fan spins, no other noise or lights, just the power light. Decided to turn off the PSU and turn that on again after few seconds. Same thing happened, just the power light came on.

I've now opened up the PC, tested all my ram slots with both of my sticks (did it all 1 at a time) and unplugged and replugged every power cable from my PSU and whatever its plugged into. Still nothing. I've reset the CMOS...

I've now opened up the PC, tested all my ram slots with both of my sticks (did it all 1 at a time) and unplugged and replugged every power cable from my PSU and whatever its plugged into. Still nothing. I've reset the CMOS and even removed the battery (not replaced with a new one yet but my CMOS should definitely have reset and I don;t think the batter should be dead after under 3 years.

I talked to my Dad and he said to leave the CMOS battery out and completely disconnect the power for 24 hours and see if that works. I have a suspicion the CPU might be dead. I have no idea why it would have died but just due to the system not making any noise at all, this is what I suspect. I'm going to find a new CMOS battery on amazon or something and try that when it arrives and then if that doesn't work, is there anything else I can try to fix the issue. I'm fairly sure its not a power problem as there are lights that are turned on on the motherboard.

My Mother board is an Asus strix h270F
CPU is intel core i5-7500 7th gen
I have a Radeon RX580 graphics card (I dont think that the issue, I got it 2nd hand but I did all the troubleshooting with and without it in the PC)
And my PSU is an EVGA one, cant remember what model but it's gold rated 600W I think (again I dont think its the PSU as the motherboard clearly has power and the power light turns on).
I did build it my self roughly 2 years ago now.

Any help is appreciated.
I would still suspect PSU, even if some lights come on.

Solution