[SOLVED] PC stopped working. PSU issue?

Aug 12, 2020
I hadn't used my PC in a few weeks, but yesterday was patch day on Final Fantasy XIV so I booted her up and was able to play all day with no issues. When I exited the game to the desktop, however, I noticed there was a sort of green digitization all over the screen and everything was unresponsive. When I restarted nothing happened. The monitor wakes up but doesn't display anything (not even the motherboard splash screen) but the lights on my mouse and keyboard come on. I unplugged the HDMI from the GPU and plugged it directly into the MOBO and the same thing happened, making me think it's not a GPU issue. I swapped the PSU and GPU into my old computer (an i5-2500k build) and the same thing is happening, making me think it's not the motherboard or CPU. Could it be the PSU? Any ideas? Here are my specs:

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (fairly new as I just had it replaced under warranty)

Ryzen 5 (don't remember the exact model)

Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming 5 motherboard

EVGA G2 750w PSU

EDIT: I put my old GPU (an EVGA GTX 680) in the old i5 build and it booted up no issue. I'll replace everything back into my newer Ryzen build with the old 680 card and see what happens.

Last edited:
Solution
They dont work in another PC and the video of Igpu was the same. What happens when you put the power supply from old computer to new one? (make sure it's enough wattage)with and without Gpu
does old computer have an Igpu? (try power supply without Gpu in old system too)
I hadn't used my PC in a few weeks, but yesterday was patch day on Final Fantasy XIV so I booted her up and was able to play all day with no issues. When I exited the game to the desktop, however, I noticed there was a sort of green digitization all over the screen and everything was unresponsive. When I restarted nothing happened. The monitor wakes up but doesn't display anything (not even the motherboard splash screen) but the lights on my mouse and keyboard come on. I unplugged the HDMI from the GPU and plugged it directly into the MOBO and the same thing happened, making me think it's not a GPU issue. I swapped the PSU and GPU into my old computer (an i5-2500k build) and the same thing is happening, making me think it's not the motherboard or CPU. Could it be the PSU? Any ideas? Here are my specs:

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (fairly new as I just had it replaced under warranty)

Ryzen 5 (don't remember the exact model)

Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming 5 motherboard

EVGA G2 750w PSU
I think you are on the right track and I'd lean on it being the PSU as well.
The problem follows the PSU. It doesn't follow the GPU (as the problem happens when you are plugged into the MB)....and it doesn't follow the MB.

They dont work in another PC and the video of Igpu was the same. What happens when you put the power supply from old computer to new one? (make sure it's enough wattage)with and without Gpu
does old computer have an Igpu? (try power supply without Gpu in old system too)

Solution
Aug 12, 2020
The old computer doesn't have a PSU. Unfortunately I only have the one.

Aug 12, 2020
I just edited my original post. I put my old GTX 680 in the old computer and it started up fine, making me now think the GTX 1070 is causing issues. I'll replace everything in the new computer and try it out.

frederickalliston

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 12, 2020
You are not alone! Several users face this issue all across the globe when their system suddenly stops working. There may be several below-mentioned reasons for the same:-
  • Issues with the hard drive: - There may be a case that the hard drive of your computer is not working and the file system is broken.
  • Damaged RAM: - You should check if the RAM of your computer is working fine (Perform some tests to check the same, these tests are available on the internet). You may consider replacing the RAM.
  • Lack of ventilation & overheating: - If you have been working on the system for a long time, then there is a possibility that it may turn off due to overheating. Ensure that you check and clean all the fans and allow your computer system to cool down.
  • Power supply: - You should also check for the power supply if the cord is properly connected or not.
  • Virus & Trojan: - Malware is one of the biggest issues and can cause damage to your computer system. Make sure that your antivirus is always updated and then run a quick scan. Your system will run swiftly post all the viruses are eliminated.
Hope these tips help!