Question PC stopped working/screen wont turn on

vibrato

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
i5 4570k, gygabite Z87-HD3, superflower PSU, MSI GTX960, 2 kingston hyper X 8 GB

This PC has already 5 years, except the PSU has 2 and the graphics 1. It suddenly stopped working. All the fans turn on but the screen wont. I tried to use the integrated graphics and clearing the bios. I also tried removing everything possible and leaving only the PSU + Motherboard running (no HDD connections, no keyboard, etc), but it still wont work. I tried the PSU with another computer, and another PSU with this computer, but same. I tried using only 1 RAM slot and none, but same.

The only conclusion I can draw is that its the motherboard... But I want to check with someone else first. Also I have been searching and it is very hard to find 1150 motherboards, all I can find are asrocks...

Thanks

vibrato

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
After a lot of headaches and too many hours... The culprit was mainly the motherboard, but also there was one RAM stick damaged which made the computer turn on sometimes and then freeze. The motherboard just didnt let it turn it on directly. Yes, I tested the other stick on all the sockets and it doesnt cause any problems, but this stick causes problems in any socket.

What are the damn chances that two pieces are broken at same time...

Also i thought it was the CPU cause when I disassembled it to test the MB I noticed a slight bump in one part in the bottom part (gold connectors) but it seems that it doesnt give a damn about that cause it works correctly now with a different MB and without that RAM stick.

Now the journey to find a proper MB cause this one was a rushed second hand pick and one USB doesnt work, and it has only 4... At least is asus...