Pc Storage setup

Skyward_Twilight23

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
Hey guys, I want to build a computer that will do some hd video editing (after effects and drawing timelapses in premiere), digital illustration in photoshop and gaming. I have all my parts figured out except for the storage.
Here are my specs so you guys can have an idea of the budget:

I7 6700k
Asus maximus hero VIII
32gb hyperx fury 2133mhz
Gtx 1070 evga
750w corsair psu
Nzxt H440 razer edition
29" ultrawide lg monitor

I was thinking before in getting a 240gb hyperx fury ssd for OS and programs and a 2tb hdd for data.
But then I went to a store where the technician suggested me a 480gb ssd instead of the 2tb hdd (leaving me with a 240 and 480gb one) But, I don't think 480gb will be enough for such a multipurpose pc, and I would like to keep the amount of external storage to a minimum. So probably a 960gb sdd I guess? Can you guys help me out? Is it worth it to get a ssd as main drive or just go with a hdd? I now feel like an hdd would bottleneck such an awesome rig but I don't have much of a real life experience with the difference. I was also thinking about the possibility of getting the 480gb ssd and from time to time transfering the data I am not using to an external hdd so I can still get the speed benefits (at least on more recent data). My dad has a 1tb hdd in his mac for 3 years now and it is barely half full. One of the things that is making it really hard for me is that I don't know how much time it would take to fill 480gb for example, with my purposes. So many possibilities are poping in my head... Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you are serious about the video editing then you need a large HDD to store those files. They are large and will build up very quickly. So your initial plan 240 SSD with 2tb HDD is sound.

If you want you could bump the SSD up to a 480gb which would give you enough space for OS, Programs, games and as long as you don't try and install your entire Steam library on it, leave some space left over to use as a fast scratch drive for WIP videos and use the 2tb HDD as a long term or infrequent use storage.
If you are serious about the video editing then you need a large HDD to store those files. They are large and will build up very quickly. So your initial plan 240 SSD with 2tb HDD is sound.

If you want you could bump the SSD up to a 480gb which would give you enough space for OS, Programs, games and as long as you don't try and install your entire Steam library on it, leave some space left over to use as a fast scratch drive for WIP videos and use the 2tb HDD as a long term or infrequent use storage.

Solution

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Video files are big, I would go with your original plan SSD+HDD.

Offloading large files from the secondary 480 GB SSD to external storage would get annoying and between your steam library and video/photoshop files it would fill up a lot faster than a 2 TB drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Is 600GB (200+400) enough for a while? Probably.
Add a large HDD later.

Basically, though...your personal use and budget is the key.
But you can ALWAYS add drives later, SSD or HDD.

But you haven't factored in some backup space, which you need.
I don't want to see you here in 6 months wondering how to get back 40GB of priceless video that was "somehow deleted".

Skyward_Twilight23

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

Thanks! But if I create a scratch disk in the ssd I would have to transfer the files I want to have there from the hdd right?

USAFRet

Titan

No A scratch disk is space that your application uses all by itself, to write and read to if necessary.
In my Lightroom application, I have a folder on a small SSD designated for that. I don't need to manage that space.

Skyward_Twilight23

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

Oh fantastic! I red in a site that it required manual selection everytime. Weird... But since I can keep my games in the hdd I think the 240gb ssd will be enough for the OS, programs and scratch disk. Thanks again!

USAFRet

Titan

This is in my Lightroom settings:
qnaD1E0.jpg

And in Paintshop Pro x8:
C6t6A6v.jpg

The L drive is a small leftover SSD.

Skyward_Twilight23

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

Thank you so much!
It says cache but is it a scratch disk for project files too?