[SOLVED] PC struggles to hit 100 FPS in CSGO with GTX 1060

Jan 24, 2020
Hello everyone

First up, I am new here so I hope I am posting in the right topic. Now the issue with my rig:
Specs:
  • Intel i5 6400 ( with an aftermarket cooler)
  • 8 GB of Corsair 2400 MHz RAM
  • Asus ROG Strix 1060 6GB OC version
  • Gigabyte H170 HD3 mobo
  • Corsair CX 450M PSU
  • Kingston 240GB SSD and 1 TB HDD
In several games now I have noticed that the FPS are not right. I will use CSGO as an example: I am hitting around 100 at max setting 1080p while I should be well above 144 Hz which is max ref. rate on my monitor ( AOC G2460PF ).
On top of that my brother is getting 144 FPS on his PC while he only has a GTX 970 paired with i5 4460. Now to go through options I have already tried:
  • fresh install of Windows 10 64bit
  • all Windows updates installed
  • updated BIOS
  • latest Nvidia drivers installed
  • CSGO is on SSD
  • XMP is on
  • overclocked the GPU in Afterburner
I have really run out of ideas, any help is welcome.

Jan 24, 2020
What speed (GHz) is your cpu running at while in game?
What is your cpu usage on each core while in game?
What is your RAM speed and are you using 1 or 2 sticks?
Are all motherboard and gpu drivers up to date?

I am not sure about cpu speeds, I will have to check and get back to you
Cpu usage is about 70% (I got this from afterburner osd data for the whole cpu, dont know per core data)
Ram is at 2133 mhz, 1 stick
All drivers up to date

Jan 24, 2020
I would think at max settings the cpu might be slowing it down but I can also see that gpu struggling with particles and shadows so if you can turn down those 2 settings it might improve that and maybe antialiasing

My cpu should be at least on par with his cpu, gpu should be well above his so I dont want to lower settings but instead find the problem and fix it to get full performance

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
My cpu should be at least on par with his cpu, gpu should be well above his so I dont want to lower settings but instead find the problem and fix it to get full performance
Is he running max settings? And actually the GPUs are pretty close in performance if his 970 was overclocked it would be on par with yours. Other than that look for background processes that are running make sure everything is properly cooled.

Jan 24, 2020
Is he running max settings? And actually the GPUs are pretty close in performance if his 970 was overclocked it would be on par with yours. Other than that look for background processes that are running make sure everything is properly cooled.

His is not overclocked and he is running max settings. Looking at some data my gpu should come on top by some 10-20 fps (quite a bit difference in my opinion, but not important)
Already checked backround apps, anything not essential is turned off, temps are fine, everything is nice and cooled

Sources for gpu data:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2577vs3639
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gtx-970-vs-gtx-1060.3120791/

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
His is not overclocked and he is running max settings. Looking at some data my gpu should come on top by some 10-20 fps (quite a bit difference in my opinion, but not important)
Already checked backround apps, anything not essential is turned off, temps are fine, everything is nice and cooled

Sources for gpu data:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2577vs3639
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gtx-970-vs-gtx-1060.3120791/
Is he on max settings though, there’s also another factor sometimes older games like older hardware,

A slow single stick of RAM will impact performance as the RAM cannot run in dual channel mode.

However we should still look for other possible issues. Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless as it only takes 1 core at 100% to limit performance while total cpu usage is much lower. The CPU speed will tell us if the cpu is being throttled down, if it is we can look at why that might be.

Jan 24, 2020
A slow single stick of RAM will impact performance as the RAM cannot run in dual channel mode.

However we should still look for other possible issues. Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless as it only takes 1 core at 100% to limit performance while total cpu usage is much lower. The CPU speed will tell us if the cpu is being throttled down, if it is we can look at why that might be.

I will do some measuring later today and send you the info, but a 30% impact on performance would fit into that that gap between our PCs
I can fairly easily fix the ram issue, but if my cpu is the bottleneck there really isn't much I can do, I cant afford another one

Jan 24, 2020

Average cpu core usage:
1: 80%
2: 70%
3: 80%
4: 90%
No cpu cores hitting 100% usage
All cpu cores at 3114 mhz constant