[SOLVED] PC stuck after bios. Always works fine after a restart

Jan 29, 2020
Hello!
When I start my PC, I see the mobo logo on the screen as usual but after that is done and windows is supposed to load, the screen recieves no input and the booting process stops. The computer doesn't shut off but is stuck in this way until I power off. I can tell it's not a monitor issue because my RGB on my ram doesn't change color, which it should if windows starts. My keyboard also doesn't load it's profile which also indicates that windows doesn't load. This only happens the first time I start my computer. When I hold down my power button and start it again, it always works. I built a new PC about a month ago and it has been like that ever since. All parts are completely new, except for an HDD which doesn't have the OS on it. I did replace my GPU from a 5700XT to a 2070S because I wasn't happy with the 5700XT for unrelated issues. This didn't seem to change this behavior so GPU hardware seems to be unrelated.

I have no issues at all once the computer is running.

SPECS:
  • MSI B450 tomahawk max
  • AMD Ryzen 3700X
  • ASUS Geforce 2070 Super ROG STRIX AD
  • G.SKill Trident Z Neo 16GB 3600MHz CL16 F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC
  • Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB M.2 SSD
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold PSU 750W
  • Windows 10 Education

What have I tried?
    I'm kinda clueless so I haven't really tried anything. I've checked the boot order on the mobo and my ssd with windows is #1.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Johan820
Solution
Jan 29, 2020
one short term answer could be turn off fast startup - you don't need it on an ssd anyway - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

its really a work around, long answer is its likely a driver that needs to be updated, and which doesn't like the new power modes in win 10.

Did you run DDU after swapping cards, remove AMD drivers from PC and install Nvidia?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Turning off fast starup seems to have done the trick. Thank you! Yes I did run DDU when I swapped cards.