[SOLVED] Pc stuck at windows loading , ram issue?

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
Like the title says a friend's of mine pc is stuck at the loading screen of windows while on boot ( you know that little circle spinning ) , he tried switching hard drive but that didnt solve the issue. He suspects that its a ram thing but I wanted to ask you guys first since I got a lot of help from this forum before ( <3 ) . Could this really be a ram issue ? If it was PSU the pc wouldnt even load right? He didnt do any updates drivers or OS it just randombly happend when he closed the pc the next time he opened it it did that. He doesnt have any spare parts to test like switching another GPU etc sadly , any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
replace the SATA cables as well

check the RAM by the USB auto installer of memtest.org

Check if the windows install media is ok
use the Microsoft windows media creation tool to install windows

Lutfij

Titan
Just for added measure, we'll need to know the specs to your friend's system. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the version of the OS(if you're dealing with Windows 10), the version of the BIOS you're currently on and lastly the drive you swapped out.

The issue you've spoken is often encountered with a corruption in the OS.

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
After MANY reboots he got into the screen that he can either try to fix windows or restore etc . Told him to try to reistall windows , If I get anything else I will let you know . He doenst know the pc specs but its a really old system ddr2 intel xeon and gt 1030 as far as I remember. Hope its a corruption as you said and will get fixed with the reinstallation. But tbh that makes most sence to be an OS error , but since he had a new install It got me thinking.

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
So after trying to reinstall windows on the driverit would freeze at the " Getting ready" phase , pretty much same issue the circle would spin even after a long time it still remained there. Restarting the pc would lead to the same result. He cant even reinstall windows at this point it stops there.

Are we dealing with old spinning drives as well?

Perhaps the drive you were using (and presumably attempting a reinstall to) has issues...

Disconnect current (possibly issue-plagued) drive and install to any other drive, preferably an SSD of some type...

FYI, WIndows updates are often being pushed out/applied, and, older systems may take longer to reboot...; power a rig off in the middle of it will not help things if impatient.