PC stuck at Windows screen

Jul 16, 2018
Hello. My PC is stuck at the window's loading screen (where the logo shows after booting up). I've tried installing a new version of windows, even then its gets stuck in the logo screen after "verifying files". I've tried Last Known Good Configuration and System Restore too, all with the same result. Even safe mode gets stuck at the logo. Please help.

SYSTEM:
Amd FX 4300
Ati Radeon HD 5450
4 GB Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

Solution
Since you're better off buying a new hard drive (SSD or HDD), I'd recommend purchasing a new one.

1. Install the new drive in place of the old. Proceed with the installation of Windows onto it.
2. Install the old drive as a secondary. Be sure it's NOT selected for boot in BIOS.
3. Boot the system so it's booting from Windows off your brand new drive.
4. Proceed to access the old drive via the alternate drive letter that it will now be assigned.

Don't worry about the old Windows directory still on the old drive. What you're most concertned about as to the file/folder contents under your local profile directory on it. It will be X:\Users\. The X: drive could be F: Drive. The letter the old drive gets assigned doesn't matter.

Proceed...

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018

But first he must remove it then reinsert it, if the problems continue then he should use memtest86

Jul 16, 2018
@polis-putrus I did that. Did not work. :(

@stdragon Do I test the Ram on another PC? And if the Ram is the problem then will it be fixed if I switch it out?
The Hard Drive is about 5 years old. I've recently upgraded, but i need to get all of my files from the hard drive. So far that's proving impossible :(

And sorry guys, i dont know how to individually reply to a forum comment. #Noob

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018

Sorry it didnt work ususally when it happens to me I just turn it off then back on, or I unplug it and press the power button while the pc is unplugged so all the power goes out of the pc and then I plug it back in then power it on and it works. Try to remove the harddrive wires and plug them back in. Dont worry your files are ok Im sure we will find a way.

stdragon

Admirable

Yes,

You can connect the drive to another computer and access the data off the drive from another bootable Windows drive. Rather then showing up as C drive, it might be D, E, F, or whatever else it assigns it.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Ok so I think the best way to do it is, first turn the computer off then back on, then when it gets to the windows logo screen quickly unplug the pc then plug it back in, turn back on, it will say "launch startup repair," select it, it wil say windows is loading files, then it will say searching for problems, then a window will pop up it says "Do you want to restore your computer using System Restore?" CLICK CANCEL, then wait more, 5-10 mins, another window will pop up saying "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" click the arrow saying "View problem details" at the bottom of the popup window, then scroll all the way down and click the last link that starts with X:\ then a notepad shuld popup and go to the top left of the notepad and click "file," then "open" THEN BOOM you got into yur computer now just plug in a flash drive and copy and paste any files you need. This will work 100% for sure, read it all, if your confused let me know which part. Thanks

stdragon

Admirable
Since you're better off buying a new hard drive (SSD or HDD), I'd recommend purchasing a new one.

1. Install the new drive in place of the old. Proceed with the installation of Windows onto it.
2. Install the old drive as a secondary. Be sure it's NOT selected for boot in BIOS.
3. Boot the system so it's booting from Windows off your brand new drive.
4. Proceed to access the old drive via the alternate drive letter that it will now be assigned.

Don't worry about the old Windows directory still on the old drive. What you're most concertned about as to the file/folder contents under your local profile directory on it. It will be X:\Users\. The X: drive could be F: Drive. The letter the old drive gets assigned doesn't matter.

Proceed copying the data to wherever you want on the new drive; be it in your new local profile, or in a new folder a the root of the C: drive. Your choice.

Solution
Jul 16, 2018
@polis_putrus I tried doing all of that. It still gets stuck at the logo after "Windows is Verifying Files". Whatever i did it always got stuck at the logo.

@stdragon: I followed your method and got my data out safely. :D

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated. :)

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018

Aww I suspected that would happen, at least I tried.