PC stuck in boot loop

jCarlo

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
I had to move my PC a few days ago, and after a week of regular use on my new place, it started giving me problems. It started by taking much longer than usual to turn on after doing a long beep and 3 short ones, and since two days ago it gets stuck in a loop where it starts to boot, the moba menu appears, then it turns off, and starts again.

I've tried accessing the menus, but it always ends up restarting again. I've tried connecting it to another power outlet, and have a spare power supply to check if that's the problem. Any other suggestions?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Also, my English isn't that great, so sorry for any errors.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6850
CPU: Intel Core i7 870 CPU
4 GB RAM
Power Supply: ATX 750W
Case: HAF 922

Solution
Well, your psu isn't a bad brand, so should be the ram.

Ahh, ok, from your original post I had been thinking you only had 1 stick...hehe
If you have 2 sticks and 2 slots I would suggest a trial and error with only using 1 stick at a time and testing in both slots to see if anything changes.

jaraldo

Honorable
On asus boards the long beep and 3 short is an indication of a PCI-E slot problem. Try sticking your GPU in another slot or just to check first, take your GPU out and see if your computer can run off of the integrated graphics in your CPU .

jCarlo

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
Ok so I tried moving the GPU to another slot and the PC would just boots to the bios menu, turns itself off after the first normal beep (I can no longer hear the fans working and all the lights turn off), and tries to restart, so no change there.

After that, I tried removing the GPU entirely and instead of the normal beep I get the long beep and three short ones, and again the PC restarts itself.

I'm starting to think that it may be a PSU problem, or maybe the reset button is stuck?

Jaraldo, I've had this build a little over two years, although the CPU is a bit older than that.

Any insight is appreciated. Sorry for the late reply.

jaraldo

Honorable
I was just going by another thread with the same mobo. If it's not PCI-E slot problem, then RAM would be the next place to check I agree.
Try a different RAM slot and if that doesn't work ram might have quit on you.

What RAM do you have and what PSU do you have? any model names/numbers would help as they could be cheaper brands causing this problem.

jCarlo

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
The PSU is a Corsair TX750, and the RAM is Samsung M378B5673FH0-CH9 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module (x4, so all slots are occupied).

I'll try with a single stick and report.

jaraldo

Honorable
Well, your psu isn't a bad brand, so should be the ram.

Ahh, ok, from your original post I had been thinking you only had 1 stick...hehe
If you have 2 sticks and 2 slots I would suggest a trial and error with only using 1 stick at a time and testing in both slots to see if anything changes.

Solution

jCarlo

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
It finally worked! With the first stick only the PC wouldn't start, but at least it wasn't shutting down. The second one I tried pressing the MemOK! button and it successfully booted!

Will there be any problem if I keep running the PC with 2 or 4 GB of RAM until the new one arrives? Also, should both sticks be adjacent to one another, or should I leave a slot between them?

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.

jaraldo

Honorable
It will be slower, much slower I think :p but no harm

If you see that your ram slots are 2 different colours then put 2 sticks of ram into slots that are the same colour. Example, you might have 2 blue slots and 2 black slots, this means they are dual channel.

If they are all the same colour then just put them in 1 and 2. Your manual would have this info and it would be better to check it.

Edit: here
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/P7P55-LX/Manual/263068?page=1