Question PC stuck in bootloop

Sep 5, 2020
parts list

History:
So it all started when I was playing "The Outer Worlds" my PC would shutdown in the middle of the game every time I would play (I have been playing other games before this with no issue) and then sometimes it would take a few tries to boot back up. After this it started doing the same thing occasionally outside of game too for a couple days. When I would check event viewer the error would be critical - kernel power - Event ID 41. After doing that like 10 times in one day it slowed down, now it happens like once every other day (sometimes it happens when I'm not even using the computer).

It would boot loop a few times and then go into a windows repair screen with options like "continue to windows" and "advanced options". Usually manually shutting down my power supply with the switch on the back or pressing "continue to windows would work" but not today.

Today:
This morning, I plugged in my fan to the same extension box as my computer/ monitors/speakers (as I have done for months with no issue) and then my computer shut down immediately. Even after unplugging the fan I can't get into windows. The closest I got was my login screen but after entering my credentials and being in windows for at most a few minutes (usually a few seconds), my computer shutdown again and dosent bootloop anymore, just shuts down. I get the same problem in windows safe mode as well.

What I have tried:
-Swapping out my Ram
-Swapping out my GPU
-I tried changing settings to give me a blue screen of death instead of just shutting down, but it would still just shutdown
-I have used compressed air to clean out any dust inside my computer
-I tried using the "advanced options" and then using "repair start-up" but I get "windows couldn't repair start-up"
-I checked my temps, they are all fine, so it can't be an overheating issue
-I have tried unplugging all my other drives (except for my other nvme drive)
-I tried installing ubuntu on my non windows drive but after installation, attempting to login gives me a login loop I can't get out of

The only glimpse of hope I have is that I made a usb bootable ubuntu drive and that seemed to work and didn't shutdown my computer so hopefully it isn't a costly hardware error.

I really need my computer for online classes, any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
These are my parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cJcYV7

And yes, I have had it for about a year now and it started acting up like this about a week or two ago ever since I first ran that game.
Try downloading and running a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to check the health of your drives, particularly the mechanical hard drive. They can slowly start to fail and cause the PC to become unstable.

gNnfiQs.png

Sep 5, 2020
Try downloading and running a program called Hard Disk Sentinel to check the health of your drives, particularly the mechanical hard drive. They can slowly start to fail and cause the PC to become unstable.

gNnfiQs.png
I don't think I will.be able to run that since it's through windows. I was able to run memtest86 since it was its separate from windows but logging onto windows immediately shuts down or shuts down after a minute. I have tried disconnecting my hard drive and m.2 ssd but that didn't do anything

I don't think I will.be able to run that since it's through windows. I was able to run memtest86 since it was its separate from windows but logging onto windows immediately shuts down or shuts down after a minute. I have tried disconnecting my hard drive and m.2 ssd but that didn't do anything
Can you get into the BIOS? Does it crash while you are in the BIOS?
If you can't, have you tried disconnecting all the drives to see if you can get into the BIOS?

Sep 5, 2020
Can you get into the BIOS? Does it crash while you are in the BIOS?
If you can't, have you tried disconnecting all the drives to see if you can get into the BIOS?
I am able to get into BIOS, I am.able to run an ubuntu bootable flash drive and I am able to get into the login screen of windows, the only problem is actually getting into windows where it shuts down

Ok I backed up my important files
What do the 4 small Status LED's (close to the USB-C header on your motherboard) show when you boot?

CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT (Status LEDs) - The status LEDs show whether the CPU, memory, graphics card, and operating system are working properly after system power-on. If the CPU/DRAM/VGA LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally.

CPU: CPU status LED
RAM: Memory status LED
VGA: Graphics card status LED
BOOT: Operating system status LED

Sep 5, 2020
What do the 4 small Status LED's (close to the USB-C header on your motherboard) show when you boot?

CPU/DRAM/VGA/BOOT (Status LEDs) - The status LEDs show whether the CPU, memory, graphics card, and operating system are working properly after system power-on. If the CPU/DRAM/VGA LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally.

CPU: CPU status LED
RAM: Memory status LED
VGA: Graphics card status LED
BOOT: Operating system status LED
The CPU and boot header blink for a second each at the begining and the dram stays on for the rest of the time until I get into windows in which they all turn off. (A few seconds or minutes later my computer shuts down)

Sep 5, 2020
The CPU and boot header blink for a second each at the begining and the dram stays on for the rest of the time until I get into windows in which they all turn off. (A few seconds or minutes later my computer shuts down)
But i don't think it's the memory since I both did a memtest86 run (no errors) and swapped it out with other memory and have the same problem

TRENDING THREADS