Question PC Stuck in Preparing for Automatic Repair

Jan 10, 2021
Hello,

This is for MSI GT-70, win 10.

My PC had been working fine until last week where it started getting stuck in the preparing automatic repair message and it would just hang there. I have tried to force windows to windows recovery mode by starting and shutting down and that didn't seem to do anything.

I was fine with just reinstalling the PC and I have tried to re-install with the windows 10 media creation tool via USB. I have tried it with a couple of USBs and they all seemed to bring me back to the laptop logo and just gets stuck there or will get stuck on the preparing for automatic repair.

For reference I have tried steps 1 - 10 multiple times on a few different USBs:
https://us.msi.com/support/technical_details/NB_OS_Installation

I have also flashed the BIOS and took me to the recovery mode screen but I could not reset the PC without changing the boot to UEFI which I have changed but led me right back to the laptop logo screen stuck
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/gt70-2pc-dominator

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2021
Thanks Ralston18

I am guessing the HD is fine because when I went looking for backup images option in the advanced boot mode, I was able to access the partitions but I couldn't get the backup to run.
I know the charger works fine because I tested it on another device that shares the same charger.

This laptop is a little over 6 years (purchased in Nov 2014) old and everything had been functioning just fine until the loop, nothing had been customized, all factory parts and software
GT70 Dominator-895

Windows 10 Home
Version 1909
OS Build 18363.1256

here are the full specs:
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 870M 3 GB
Intel Core i7 4th Gen 4800MQ (2.70 GHz):
  • CPU Speed 4800MQ (2.70 GHz)
  • Number of Cores Quad-core Processor
  • Turbo Frequency Max Turbo Frequency 3.7GHz
  • CPU L3 Cache 6 MB

8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD DDR3 (HDD RPM 7200)
1 x VGA, 1 x Mini DisplayPort 1 x HDMI
2 x USB 2.0 3 x USB 3.0