Question PC Stuck in Reboot Loop

ZoomerPong

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I flashed the latest BIOS version to my MSI Z97-G45 GAMING and got a message along the lines of "Update completed successfully, your computer will restart". But it then got stuck in a reboot loop, I couldn't even get to the bios screen anymore. All the LEDs, drives and fans received power but the whole system would shutdown and reboot after about 5 seconds.

The following day I attempted to boot the computer and this time it worked perfectly fine.. I kept using the pc for about two weeks and then one day, upon booting it got stuck in a reboot loop again. I tried an emergency flashing procedure explained on MSI's website, I unplugged the GPU, the drives and all the peripherals (basically only leaving psu, mobo, cpu and RAM). I even connected two different buzzers to the dedicated pins on the mobo but it didn’t beep at all.

Since the issue appeared after a BIOS update I would have thought that the motherboard could be bricked (even though I got a “successful update” message, which is quite weird)... But why did it appear for 24hours, disappear for 2 weeks and then permanently reappeared? Do you think it could be something else (either ram, cpu or PSU)?

Thanks.

ZoomerPong

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
If you can reach bios, try to increase the ram timings (latencies) slightly.
See the ram manifacturer for what exactly they should be.

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't even reach the bios. The pc stays powered up for about 5 seconds, at that point it shuts down and reboots. It has been working fine for 5 years, it has only stopped working after this (seemingly) successful bios update, and I also tried clearing the CMOS (both by pressing the button and removing the battery) so I don't think the RAM is the problem.

Let's say, for example, that I either have a faulty CPU or RAM. Shouldn't I hear the corresponding beeps when I plug the motherboard speaker?

Try different orderings of the ram memory - different sequences, only one-two sticks, etc...
And resetting bios is usually made by leaving the battery/jumper or whatever out for 10-20 minutes.
If u can, u can try to return the previous bios version via disk or something.
This more likely has something to do with your motherboard, but it can impact many things.
I am not sure if something is faulty at all. More likely not, but something may be not set properly.
The CPU maybe. Yes. But really, less likely. I see no logic.
The PSU may be the problem. It's been 5 years.

popatim

Titan
Sometimes after a Bios update you need to reset the Cmos using the jumper or button, dependingo n what provisions your motherboard has.

Also several MSi models have Dual Bios and you may be able to switch to the other, non-updated bios to see if your problem disappears.

ZoomerPong

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Try different orderings of the ram memory - different sequences, only one-two sticks, etc...
And resetting bios is usually made by leaving the battery/jumper or whatever out for 10-20 minutes.
If u can, u can try to return the previous bios version via disk or something.
This more likely has something to do with your motherboard, but it can impact many things.
I am not sure if something is faulty at all. More likely not, but something may be not set properly.
The CPU maybe. Yes. But really, less likely. I see no logic.
The PSU may be the problem. It's been 5 years.

Thans. Unfortunately I already disconnected the power cable and left the mobo wihtout CMOS battery overnight but nothing changed. I tried getting to the previous bios version with a usb stick (following MSI's procedure), but the PC kept rebooting. I doubt something is not set properly as I haven't changed any setting before it stopped working. I thought the PSU could be the problem too.. Is a reboot loop a common symptom of a failed PSU?

Sometimes after a Bios update you need to reset the Cmos using the jumper or button, dependingo n what provisions your motherboard has.

Also several MSi models have Dual Bios and you may be able to switch to the other, non-updated bios to see if your problem disappears.

I tried resetting the BIOS in many ways (see paragraph above), and unfortunately my mobo doesn't have the dual bios feature...

Since I don't hear any sound when I connect the motherboard buzzer, is it correct to assume that the problem probably is either within the mobo itself or in the PSU? If the problem was the RAM or the CPU, shouldn't I hear the corresponding beep sequence when I plug the motherboard buzzer?