[SOLVED] PC stuck on “Windows didnt start correctly”

Aug 19, 2021
Hey,
About a week ago I bought an RTX 2070 arous 8gb. I set it up with DDU and everything, it worked fine until a few days ago my pc crashed, and when I booted it up again I had no gpu drivers installed. After that, I installed the gpu drivers again and it worked. This week, I went to a party and left my pc on for 1 or 2 days. When I got home I noticed that my computer is on but i have no image tho my monitor was turned on. I couldnt get back the image so I restarted my pc and it dropped me into the “This PC didnt start correctly” where i could choose from “restart” or “advanced settings” (or smthng like that) in the advanced tab i tried everything, watched videos about it, but still nothing works. Nothing worked that worked for others.

I tried factory resetting my pc, i was at a part where it said “pc may restart during the process” it did restart as it said, but the problem is that it restarted into the “your pc didnt start correctly”. At this point i cant do anything with it. Now when i start my pc, it runs as usual, but i have black screen and after several minutes it restarts and drops me to the “didnt start correctly” tab.

I would greatly appreciate any type of help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

since you doing a factory reset, might as well just clean install. Its same thing

but we need to wipe boot drive first or we will just get that error again
If you have more than 1 ssd/hdd in pc, only have the drive with windows in when you do the next few steps, until windows is back on PC at least.

Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

since you doing a factory reset, might as well just clean install. Its same thing

If you have more than 1 ssd/hdd in pc, only have the drive with windows in when you do the next few steps, until windows is back on PC at least.

Boot from installer
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

now restart the PC and run the installer again, this time to reinstall windows 10 - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Reactions: gergo10803
Solution
Aug 19, 2021
Thank you so much, unfortunately for about week I wont have acces to any type of computers since we are going on a vacation, but after that i will try what you said.

Aug 19, 2021

Boot from installer
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

now restart the PC and run the installer again, this time to reinstall windows 10 - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
And could that be possible that i just remove the old drive with windows and just buy a new ssd and install windows on it?

Aug 19, 2021
if you have a hdd now and want a reason to upgrade to an ssd, its a good excuse. But I don't see anything there that indicates its anything other than windows at fault.
I have an old ssd that has windows, an hdd and an nvme ssd, and just thought about buying a new ssd for windows or move windows to the nvme one, and leave the old ssd for something idk

Aug 19, 2021
its totally up to you. Windows could run faster off the nvme (its what I am using mine for) and it save you waiting for a new SSD to install on now.
Hello again, so i got a usb and installed windows on the nvme. I started doing the updates for windows in the settings, but after the 20h2 update it crashes. After it finished updating my pc restarted, it dropped me into windows but after few seconds it crashed. My pc was still on but i had no image displayed. And when i first installed windows, before the updates, in the device manager i couldnt even see my gpu. So i dont really know what to do now, i just installed windows for the 3rd time and it always ends up the same.