Question PC stuck on a reboot loop after crashing, but only if >3 RAM sticks are installed.

Nov 15, 2019
  • O.S.: Windows 10 1903 (but I guess it's a hardware or BIOS problem)
  • MoBo: ASUS Z97M-PLUS
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
  • PSU: XFX 650W P1-650S-NLB9
  • RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600MHz DDR3
  • 2 x Corsair Xms3 2GB 1333MHz DDR3
  • Storage: 1 x 7200RPM 300GB HDD
  • 1 x 7200RPM 1TB HDD
  • 1 x 7200RPM 80GB HDD (I have Manjaro Linus on this one)
  • 1 x 230GB M.2 SSD
  • GPU: My GPU stopped working properly a month ago (it was an RX 480), but I tested it on two other computers and verified it was not working on other computers as well, so I'm using my CPU's integrated graphics (Intel Graphics HD 4600).

I was just using my PC normally earlier today on Windows 10, browsing the internet hearing music and studying. Suddenly my computer stopped responding, the sound was stuck and the video was full of flickering rectangular artifacts all over it.
So I reboot the computer, and then I was stuck on a reboot loop, the computer would turn on by itself, stay on for 3 or so seconds and turn off and on again, no POST beep, no video, nothing.
Then I tried unplugging it and plugging it on again, but as soon as I switched the PSU on again, the PC turned on by itself and was stuck on the reboot loop again, the only way to stop this was by turning the PSU switch off.
I tried taking one RAM stick out and turning it on again, and it worked! So I turned the computer off and plugged the RAM again, and it stuck on the loop again, so I tried multiple configurations of RAM sticks on multiple slots and quantities
It seems the computer will only work now if I have less than 4 sticks of RAM installed on any slots.
I'm writing now from my computer with 10GBs of RAM (2 x Vengeance and 1 Xms3). I didn't try to clear de CMOS yet. I have this RAM configuration for more than 2 years.
What should I try next? How can I troubleshoot this further?

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 14196

Mixing ram is most likely the culprit you are only supposed to use ram that is sold in a kit altogether not mixing different types. And this is probably your problem and you can test it by booting with your first two sticks that you first had and if it works then boot with the second two sticks only and if that works you know your memories good but you can’t mix them

Nov 15, 2019
Mixing ram is most likely the culprit you are only supposed to use ram that is sold in a kit altogether not mixing different types. And this is probably your problem and you can test it by booting with your first two sticks that you first had and if it works then boot with the second two sticks only and if that works you know your memories good but you can’t mix them
Even if this configuration was working all fine for over 2 years? I've been using these 4 sticks for a long time, I didn't change anything now, the computer just crashed suddenly.
And I tested mixing 2 different memories and also two similar ones, as I said, it only works now if there are 3 sticks or less installed.