PC stuck on motherboard splash screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2018
Hello everyone! First time posting here. I’ve tried researching this issue extensively but nothing has worked for me.

Pc specs before I get into it:
Cpu: I5 2500k
Mobo: h61m-k
Ram: 8gb ripjaws x

So I’ve got a big issue. My girlriend’s pc has been blue screening a lot yesterday with the WHEA uncontrollable Error stop code. I restarted it many times attempting to do disk checks and run memory diagnostics however I’ve hit a wall.

After doing a disk check it restarted itself and now it just gets stuck on the motherboard splash screen and freezes. I’m unable to do any inputs, can’t access bios or anything. I’ve tried everything. Disconnected and reconnected everything, reseated ram, tried just one stick of ram, swapped in ram out of another pc. Reset cmos and rtc, reseated cpu. Unplugged graphics card and hdd but nothing seems to work. The motherboard is lighting up green and was sending beep codes. I was getting 1 Long beep followed by 3 short beeps which I think is a memory issue, and then I got a continuously sounding beep and then I got 1 long beep with 4 short beeps which is a hardware failure.
So I tested the cpu in my other pc and it worked fine booted up sweet. I tested the ram in my other pc, works fine. I tested the power supply only a week ago and it was working mint. However I was only got beep codes a few times and now it’s only beeping once which I think means it has posted. I can sometimes get through to windows randomly but then it blue screens again and then I’m back at square one. So it’s leading me to believe it’s the motherboard, perhaps one of the cpu socket pins is bent or something I’m not sure. What is everyone’s opinion?
Thanks -

stdragon

Admirable
Clear the CMOS and then re-seat the RAM modules again. Also, be sure to disconnect the SATA cable from the hard drive.

Also, if you can boot the system, be sure to test the RAM with a copy of Memtest86 on a usb flashdrive.

At the end of the day, it's possible it's a bad MB. However I find that unlikely at the is point.

Jun 14, 2018
Thanks for the swift reply. I just cleared the cmos again. Actually got somewhere and could get into the bios. I was navigating to up the cpu voltage but it froze.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
I've seen this behavior from a bad HDD. I thought the motherboard was dead when it actually was because the bios seized while trying to identify the device.
A Bios update is also recommended if not done already.
Try unhooking all USB headers as well. A bad usb front panel could cause a device failure issue.
If you have a multimeter, test the cmos battery to make sure it isn't dead.

Jun 14, 2018
I’ve got everything unplugged except cpu fan, and power switch. I can get it into the bios now with a cmos reset but it freezes within a minute or two. I’m getting beep codes and I think they’re for missing vga card or graphics card or something so I might try with a gpu

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Might consider examining the Capacitors on the motherboard. If you notice any with bulging or leaking tops, you found your problem. Sounds like it's ok after a cold boot, until the board starts to warm up. The CPU has vga graphics on it, so that isn't what your code is, unless you have it disabled in the Bios?

stdragon

Admirable
Clearing the CMOS would have put video detect to "Auto" or "Auto detect" or some such. In that setting, the system will first attempt to POST with a Video Card (GPU). If one isn't detected, it will then roll on to using the CPU's on-board video capability (iGPU).

Jun 14, 2018
I think capacitor is a good call. I inspected them all and none seem to be bulging. Maybe a burnt out solder joint on the back of the motherboard? The gpu is good I plugged it into my other pc and booted up fine.

Jun 14, 2018
Okay so I just took the motherboard out to inspect all the capacitors. They all seemed to be alright but now I put the motherboard back into the case and it won’t even post. Fans spin up fast for a second and the power down into an almost limp mode. Starting to lose hope. Tried resetting the cmos and tried different ram again but no cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS