PC Stuck: "RTC is reset; BIOS Setup Defaults have been loaded..." Unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasethecat

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hi all,

First, I have an OEM Dell XPS 8500 (Mfg. Date: July 19, 2012).

I have been having issues installing a new GPU, and after some digging around on the internet, I decided to attempt to reset my BIOS/CMOS.

First I tried to remove the CMOS battery, wait, and replace the CMOS battery. That didn't fix my original issue, so I attempted to move the jumper pins around. I made a huge mistake and don't remember what the default jumper-pin settings were. However, I tweaked it around and figured out a way to configure the pins so that the machine turns on (maybe this is the right way?).

My issue now, however, is that when the machine boots it gets past the Dell splash screen where it gives me options: "F2 Setup, F12 Boot Options". After it loads past that, my machine gets stuck on a screen:

"RTC is reset; BIOS Setup Defaults have been loaded.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

At this screen, my machine is completely unresponsive. Striking either F1 or F2 yields no response. My keyboard's lights are on, however I cannot dim the lights (I normally could). Another thing to note is that on the splash screen, pressing F2 or F12 also yields no response.

I am extremely frustrated, extremely upset, and am very grateful for any assistance you all can give.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

-Chase

Solution
Usually when trying to deal with OEM/pre-built system's it's highly advised to make sure you first meet the power drawing requirements of your components. The subsequent question to your post would be what make and model of GPU did you populate your system and what was it replacing?

When dealing with threads of troubleshooting nature it's customary to include your full system's specs and you OS. The RTC issue you're facing is actually your motherboard's clock being reset. You need to enter your BIOS to key in the numbers/values for your motherboard to keep time. Do so by tapping DEL, F12 or F2 as soon as you power up your system.

I'm not exactly sure what you did with the jumpers and am little confused by what you mean by...

Lutfij

Titan
Usually when trying to deal with OEM/pre-built system's it's highly advised to make sure you first meet the power drawing requirements of your components. The subsequent question to your post would be what make and model of GPU did you populate your system and what was it replacing?

When dealing with threads of troubleshooting nature it's customary to include your full system's specs and you OS. The RTC issue you're facing is actually your motherboard's clock being reset. You need to enter your BIOS to key in the numbers/values for your motherboard to keep time. Do so by tapping DEL, F12 or F2 as soon as you power up your system.

I'm not exactly sure what you did with the jumpers and am little confused by what you mean by rearranging the pins to power up your system. Usually there is only one physical jumper to clear your CMOS and the easiest method of clearing your BIOS/CMOS is by removing the battery, nothing else.

Consider this a lesson learnt to take a picture of your setup and components so to understand what the former settings were in case you'd need to revert to it. Since you're unfamiliar with things it'd also help you if you had a pencil and paper at hand to note down what your BIOS settings were prior.

Solution

NextGen_1

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
First, I have an Dell inspiron 3847

I have been having issues installing a new GPU, and after some digging around on the internet, I decided to attempt to reset my BIOS/CMOS.

My issue now, however, is that when the machine boots it gets past the Dell splash screen where it gives me options: "F2 Setup, F12 Boot Options". After it loads past that, my machine gets stuck on a screen:

"RTC is reset; BIOS Setup Defaults have been loaded.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

Status
Not open for further replies.