Question PC stutter and freeze!

Jan 6, 2020
I’ve built my pc last month, and everything was running fine until today.
I recently noticed that at first, while i was playing old school runescape, that the game would massively start stuttering out of nowhere. I thought that it probably had something to do with the client, but it was strange because i never had this problem a couple weeks ago. So after it was basically unplayable, i just exited it and went to browse the web. I then noticed that my browser also stuttered, so i thought maybe my internet was slow, but nope. Even scrolling down a bit caused my browser to stutter every few seconds (maybe 10 seconds in between?)

Then i exited everything and even my wallpaper engine effects started stuttering, so i loaded up my task manager to see what the hell was going on, and to my surprise, my memory useage went up to 100% random, causing my entire pc to freeze for a few seconds, and then it went back to normal. So i panicked and closed every task except windows task. Ran rkill and Malwarebytes, and thankfully everything was fine. My temps were all fine, and the stuttering apparently wouldn't happen when nothing but windows tasks were opened.
To note, i never had any stutter issues even 10 mins ago when i was playing league, so it most likely isn't my cpu and gpu i am assuming... because it happened while playing old school runescape.

Specs
i7 6700k
2x8GB g skill trident (3200mhz)
pny gtx 1080 blower
asus maximus viii formula

Btw, could a dying HDD cause this? My HDD is a seagate barracuda 2tb, and it makes random chirping noises when its idle or sometimes in use. This is an example of the noise it makes (not my video, but exact same sound)
View: https://youtu.be/IqoPzZSMRfM

Windows is installed on my SSD, i use the HDD to store games.

I'm just very concerned right now that my PC might have a serious hardware issue, and i can't afford to replace the parts if they die, especially my cpu and motherboard. I had originally planned to replace the HDD since last week because it was making the sound, so hopefully once i replace it, this issue will be resolved, if i ever do get it again.

The PC is currently working fine. I never did a restart or anything, but the problem went away after i closed some random files i had opened, and i did scan my PC for adware, and it removed 2 adwares, so maybe that was causing the issue?

Last edited:

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
You could perform a clean reinstallation of Windows, deleting all partitions on the drive (which deletes Windows and everything else you have on it).

Let Windows handle driver installations. Only update the GPU driver yourself, directly from the manufacturer website.

Don't install any software except the game you want to test.

Run that game, and see what happens.

If you want to rule out hardware, that's probably the simplest way of doing it.

And try not to install more adware - browse safely :)

Jan 6, 2020
You could perform a clean reinstallation of Windows, deleting all partitions on the drive (which deletes Windows and everything else you have on it).

Let Windows handle driver installations. Only update the GPU driver yourself, directly from the manufacturer website.

Don't install any software except the game you want to test.

Run that game, and see what happens.

If you want to rule out hardware, that's probably the simplest way of doing it.

And try not to install more adware - browse safely :)

I don't really think i installed any adware, but to my surprise i had 2. Guess maybe unlock didn't do its job properly? Or it somehow got past it and put itself on my browser without me installing it (if thats even possible)

So far my PC is working just fine. No stutter in any games. It was most likely due to the adware, since I've removed it, its been working fine. If the problem comes up again. I might have to do a clean install.

TRENDING THREADS