Question Could my memory be causing stutters?

HypoCheese

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
I have a;
i7 6700, GTX MSI 1070, 250gb SSD, 2tb HDD, MSI Bazooka b250m, 16gb 2133 mhz.

I experience frequent stutters and it is quite annoying now. Previously it would be the occasional 2 second stutter, now my cursor freezes up and stutters, audio pretty much cuts out, google chrome freezes and such. If I was typing, what I was typing would process and instantly appear after the stutter. The stutters go for a good 3-5 seconds now and happen at least every minute.

Any ideas?

HypoCheese

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
I doubt it's your ram ,but conceivably it could if one stick was failing, but i'd exepct you to have other issues then with BSOD's.

What PSU are you running the system with?

To be fair, this system is prebuilt and have yet to check the PSU on it. I've used it for around 2, nearly 3 years now. I did notice that when my PC stutters and freezes, I do have a spike in CPU usage in the performance tab of task manager, though the processes tab doesn't update quick enough / updates following the stutter, and so I can't see what is doing it.

Thanks.

HypoCheese

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
test the ram with memtest86
https://www.memtest86.com/

let it run for as many iterations as the free version will allow (I think it's 4 passes). anything more than zero errors and you have RAM issues.

Ran memtest86 alongside windows memory diagnostic, both came out with no errors. I then ran crystal disk info and both my hdd and sdd seem to be in good health according to it. It does seem though like the issue is gone now, pretty weird to be fair.

Edit: never mind it is still here

HypoCheese

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
So probably a year ago or so, my file explorer began freezing up on me. It was quite consistent, and the freezing lasted around 5 seconds long, though I thought nothing of it at the time. As time went on, it occurred more consistently, so it was clear there may have been an underlying issue, though once again I dismissed it. Then when shutting down my PC, the shutting down animation of a few circles spinning would freeze and it would be necessary for me to hard shut down my PC by either holding down the power off button or just pulling out the power plug. I then did a RAM test, don't recall which I used, and it failed each time so I presumed it was a RAM issue obviously, and I didn't go through with the return and such as with school I can't afford to be without a PC for 6 weeks.

As of recent though, I realised that my Google Chrome started freezing up and stuttering (just happened as typing stuttering, what are the chances) and for 2-5 seconds it becomes unusable. Though this progressed into the entirety of my PC whereby Discord, games and so on stutter quite often. I looked into it, tested my drives with crystaldiskinfo and stressed my RAM, tested it too, no errors with either my drives or my RAM. I then looked into my CPU usage in MSI Afterburner and it was clear that with each stutter my CPU spiked up in usage. I then stressed my CPU with both CPU-Z and HeavyLoad; CPU-Z caused my PC to be unusable during the test, was quite hard to turn off the test with the constant stuttering during the test and with HeavyLoad my PC was still usable with no issues whatsoever, I was able to watch Youtube during the stress test too.

I've monitored my temps during the stress tests and all seems well, my CPU maxed out 80 degrees, GPU has maxed at 80 degrees too, and SSD/HDD are always fine in terms of temps.

I noticed that, although my task manager freezes up during the stutters and I can't keep track of which applications cause the jump in CPU usage, that during each stutter, at the very end when task manager becomes responsive once again that windows explorer drops in usage, seemingly being around 10%, when usually it is below 5% even.

I am genuinely clueless in regards to this issue. The PC is just over 2 years old, specs are as follow:

i7 6700

MSI GTX 1070

MSI Bazooka b150m

16 GB of RAM 2133 mhz

250gb SSD

2tb HDD

Edit:

When playing games and the stutter occurs, my GPU drops in usage. In the case of league of legends, I go from around 50% to 20% during the stutter, which then returns back to normal after the stutter is done.

If I can get any guidance or even help it would be much appreciated.

TL;DR -

PC stutters, stress tests performed, all seems well, cause of stutters is still left undiagnosed.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS