Question PC stuttering and black screen while browsing the net

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
HI
Im having this issue on first boot of my pc while browsing the net the browser starts to stutter and eventually black screens upon further investigation the gpu clocks itself to over 3ghz and 100% utilization which leads to black screen ..

When it starts to get higher and higher clocks i can close the browser but it makes no difference its keeps screaming up to 3ghz till it black screens

Strange part is once this has happened i hit the reset button on the case the pc reboots and the issue is fixed i can browse the net for hours and hours no problem

Then first boot after a few hours the pc does the same thing browsing the net the gpu starts clocking to 3 ghz crashes then is fixed with a reset !!

i have no clue why this is doing this ive removed the gpu drivers and re installed the adrenalin software and the 23.1.1 driver and no change does the same thing

can anyone help with this issue ??

Gpu is a AMD 7900xtx red devil

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
How old is the HX?

In the meantime, I'd suggest updating the bios for your system, as this often brings bug fixes, specially with a new platform.

Ive had the Hx for a about 2 years now..

The bios is up to date current Asus 0805 for the rog crosshair x670e gene

What i find baffling is the fact that once i reset the computer its fine no issues nothing i can browse the net for ever and everything is fine just that first boot after a prolonged period the gpu clocks up to 3k 100% utilization after 5minutes then black screens !!

Im absolutely stumped to what causes this then its fixed by a simple reset !!

I did have this build in a thermal take core p3 a week or so after i rebuild in a cere 500 case it started doing this ..

Last edited:
Ive had the Hx for a about 2 years now..

The bios is up to date current Asus 0805 for the rog crosshair x670e gene

What i find baffling is the fact that once i reset the computer its fine no issues nothing i can browse the net for ever and everything is fine just that first boot after a prolonged period the gpu clocks up to 3k 100% utilization after 5minutes then black screens !!

Im absolutely stumped to what causes this then its fixed by a simple reset !!

I did have this build in a thermal take core p3 a week or so after i rebuild in a cere 500 case it started doing this ..
Did you clear CMOS after bios update?

Reactions: ilukey77

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Did you clear CMOS after bios update?
thank you for your help it seems to have sorted it
I have done a few other things such as remove the GPU and the riser cable clean and re seat it and i fired up a game last night so i did a small OC undervolt and fan curve Now im not sure if them things helped but it did seem stable since the cmos clear so ill chalk it up to that
THANK YOU for youre help!

thank you for your help it seems to have sorted it
I have done a few other things such as remove the GPU and the riser cable clean and re seat it and i fired up a game last night so i did a small OC undervolt and fan curve Now im not sure if them things helped but it did seem stable since the cmos clear so ill chalk it up to that
THANK YOU for youre help!

Ah, excellent! That's a result. Glad to help :)

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
You might try replace the CMOS battery. It could be it's not remembering the settings.

It does sound a bit odd now, at this stage.
hmm it feels like a GPU issue to im in 2 minds about doing a RMA on the 7900xtx red devil but if the pc gets a restart after the issue its works fine which makes me think software im in to minds of removing the ssd and replacing it and re installing windows but go 10 this time and see if that works !!

see i dont know if i can point to the Asus mobo if the cpu was crashing the pc i could point to it but its the GPU over clocking to high which makes me point directly at the GPU and drivers yet before i built this system i was running the 5800x3d on a gigabyte b550i aorus itx with the 7900xtx windows 10 no issues only when i built this system with the Asus rog crosshair and even then it was a few weeks after before i started having these issues..

I have a few options available
i could pull the gpu out and replace it with my 6900xt red devil and see if the problem persists and vice versa slap the 7900xtx on my MSI tomahawk 5800x3d windows 10 build and see if its the GPU ..
or the above remove the ssd replace it and do a fresh install of windows 10

im just stumped to this issue if it was a constant issue so every boot it did the same thing i could most likely point to the GPU but to reset and have it work fine has lost me !!

Last edited:
The default access is "low-permissions", which is the more secure way to run code. The severity of this is so high BECAUSE it does not require higher permissions to execute.
i could pull the gpu out and replace it with my 6900xt red devil and see if the problem persists and vice versa slap the 7900xtx on my MSI tomahawk 5800x3d windows 10 build and see if its the GPU ..
or the above remove the ssd replace it and do a fresh install of windows 10

Absolutely, yes. This will help narrow things down for you. Reinstall Windows as the last resort/step though.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Absolutely, yes. This will help narrow things down for you. Reinstall Windows as the last resort/step though.
Hi been a few weeks or so now ..

I did a swap of the GPU's so i dropped the 7900xtx in my x570 5800x3d system and the 6900xt in the AM5 x670e 7600x system for a few days couldnt fault either of them so i swapped them back and have worked fine ever since ..

So im still no closer to fully understanding the issue i had or how it was fixed ( which wouldve be great just for knowing )

If i was to point to anything it may have been driver teething issues with the 7000series or just a glitch of sorts in the software that has since worked its self out ..

Either way thanks for the Advice !!

Hi been a few weeks or so now ..

I did a swap of the GPU's so i dropped the 7900xtx in my x570 5800x3d system and the 6900xt in the AM5 x670e 7600x system for a few days couldnt fault either of them so i swapped them back and have worked fine ever since ..

So im still no closer to fully understanding the issue i had or how it was fixed ( which wouldve be great just for knowing )

If i was to point to anything it may have been driver teething issues with the 7000series or just a glitch of sorts in the software that has since worked its self out ..

Either way thanks for the Advice !!
Ah, good. At least it's resolved :)

Good luck and happy gaming :)