Question PC Stuttering/Audio Distortion after X amount of time.

Anarchyx14

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hello, as the title suggest I am currently encountering a brand new issue with my PC.

Before I get into the specifics, here are my specs:

-i7 9700k 3.6ghz (not OC'd, but turbo enabled)
-MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER MSI
-Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 32GB RAM
-EVGA Supernova 850w G3
-MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC LGA 1151
-EVGA CLC 360MM AIO

This PC is hardly over a year old. The system has been running stable from the start, minimal issues. However the past month or so I have noticed when I begin a download on steam, the entire PC starts chugging. CPU usage rises to 80-100% and renders the entire PC unusable as it stutters heavily. This was a problem that began out of seemingly nowhere, no recent installs of software/new hardware, just appeared out of the blue. My first solution I tried to fix this was disabling HPET, however I found that regardless of doing that the issue would persist after the PC has been on. I confused me disabling HPET and restarting as fixing the issue, when in reality it was just the restart that temporarily solves the issue, however after X amount of time of me using the computer, when I go to download something the problem returns. (I download at 20-30mb/s) The stuttering goes away completely if I pause the download, and again a restart will temporarily negate this, meaning I can download stuff fine for the first few hours, but after awhile something must be happening as the issue will return.

My mobo does not have an option to disable HPET anyways, so I figure that doing so in windows would not have any effect, and could potentially make things worse. I have reset all of the hpet related values back to default, and haven't touched it since, but I am still left with the issue. Though the HPET fix in essence even if it did work.. wouldn't make sense to me anyways because this problem never existed before.

I have ALSO noticed that with heavier CPU usage, the system starts stuttering again, However not heavy enough to the point where the stuttering would be justified. This is also completely new. Example. I am streaming a show for friends on discord, and have a minor game in the background, the CPU hovers around 50-60% but I do start to get light stuttering every minute or so - something that I have previously never experienced on this build.

Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss, my drivers are up to date, the PC is clean, temperature are all well below anything that would suggest some sort of thermal throttling.

I am thinking my next move will be to wipe the OS and start fresh on a brand new SSD as the current one I am using is probably close to 10 years old, and this is the same OS from my previous build (Drivers were wiped with DDU) however if that can be avoided or pushed back - I would love a solution to help me fix this issue.

TRENDING THREADS