Question PC Stuttering/Freezing/Crashing

Apr 19, 2021
Alright, I’m experiencing some problems here. I think it’s the motherboard. This not my PC anymore. I gave it to someone else. Anyways, I decided to try RAM in the PC and overclocked it to 4000MHz in my Z390-A Pro motherboard. The RAM was recommended for Z490. Anyways, after I did this, I started experiencing crashes, like the game would just crash and bring me back to desktop, the game would also stutter. It seems to be games that are graphically demanding. It’s not the RAM, GPU, or PSU. As I tested those out. I’m thinking I shot something on the motherboard, maybe the ram slots? Not too sure. But the CPU gets a high usage during those events. I’m thinking it’s either a cooler issue or a motherboard issue. Last, and I hope it’s not this, a CPU issue. I was running the CPU at 4.9GHz and the RAM at 3200. It was fine until I threw in the new RAM at 4000. The specs in the system are.

i7-9700k
16GB of RAM 3200MHz
Z390-A Pro

I put everything down to base speeds and the problem still persists. I ordered a new mobo and cooler but I still figured I’d post here to get some ideas. I tried the GPU and the new RAM in my new PC and they work just fine. Any ideas?

Apr 19, 2021
What it the cpu temp? Sounds luke thermal throttling

The CPU was hitting up to 80-90c. I reseated the cpu cooler and applied thermal paste. It went down to about 70c at 4.9GHz. At stock speeds it hasn’t went past 60-65 or so. I think the cooler might be shot, I do hear like water and gurgling sounds. I did purchase a new mobo and cooler to see for sure though. AIDA64 did say the CPU was throttling, but when I reseated the CPU cooler and changed the clock speeds to 3.60. It didn’t say that anymore.

Apr 19, 2021
Gpu temps? What gpu, what ram, what psu. Give is full system specs for a better analisys

GPU was getting 50-60. Highest 70. The GPU is in the new PC and is working fine. It’s an MSI RTX 2070 Super. The PSU in the old one is 600 watt generic. I switched it with my MSI 850 and the issue still happened. The one RAM is G.Skill RipJaws 16GB, 3200MHz. The other is G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB, 4000MHz. Switching both RAMS still caused an issue. I used the 32GB in the old one (the one with the issue now) and clocked it to 4000MHz and other speeds. I eventually got a BSOD. And then after that, now it’s freezing, crashing and stuttering. The 32GB is in my new system and everything is working fine. I’m thinking I overclocked it too hard and shot the motherboard ram slots or the CPU cooler is going. The CPU cooler is a Rosewill 120mm LGA1151. It’s about 3 years old.

Apr 19, 2021
Mixing ram is a bad idea. Use only ram from a single kit.

I didn’t mix them in the sense of using 1 stick of the one kind and one stick of the other. I used them as a single kit only. So 32GB together as dual channel and the 16GB together. Separately. I didn’t mix one 16 of the 32 and one 8 of the 16. I just switched over to 32 and overclocked it to it’s max speed. Then I got BSOD’s and freezing/crashing/stuttering.

Apr 19, 2021
Try to up the ram voltage by 0,01v and run memtest. Unstable ram can corrupt your storage.

I’m not using the 32GB in that PC. I don’t have that PC with me anymore, I gave it to a family member. I ordered a new motherboard and CPU cooler for it. I’ll wait until it comes in and try that. When I was using the 32GB at 4000MHz in that pc and motherboard the voltage was 1.40. Doesn’t matter what speed or voltage I used after that, it causes stutters. With both RAMs at different speeds, timings and voltages. It causes the same issue. I think it became unstable and corrupted the motherboard ram slots or something. Cause the HDD and SSD worked fine in the new build. The 32GB works in this build fine with no issues.