[SOLVED] PC Stuttering when GPU is connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
My decade old PC showed it is time to change CMOS battery, I got one from local shop and the battery was faulty, I started getting memory low message, partition drive missing, not booting at times, then I changed the battery purchased new one from another shop. From there on system started acting normally. I also did a Windows 10 update in the meantime. Now my PC stutters randomly when GPU is connected, note I AM NOT PLAYING GAMES. Just usual stuff like browsing, watching YouTube etc. It will start stuttering for a while then all will be back to normal. Happens like twice a day and I suspected it is the ram, so I cleaned the ram and just to test did not put GPU back on and used MB port for video. For a day it worked without any stutter and I thought all is good and let me put the GPU back, and alas, the stuttering is back when doing normal tasks. I removed the GPU again and everything is back to normal.

What is happening?

I highly doubt there is anything wrong with GPU, I did stress test and it showed everything is good, temps is good, nothing overheating.

When the stutter happen it shows on mouse movement only, if music is playing it is playing without any issues same with video.

Now I am using the system without GPU

Specs: i7 2600
Intel DH67CL
Two SSD
24GB Ram 4 slot
SilverStone AR12-RGB Argon Series
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG Strix OC Edition
Cooler Master MWE 550 Bronze V2 230v, 80 Plus Bronze Certified

Lutfij

Titan
Cooler Master MWE 550 Bronze V2 230v, 80 Plus Bronze Certified
How old is the PSU in the build?

Also, that platform might very well be on it's way out, considering that the Intel board you have was notorious for being nitpicky on anything that's plugged into it...and it would fail spectacularly.

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
PSU is only two months old. I changed it recently, I had disabled automatic windows 10 update because the system is too old and I recently did a complete update. I am not 100% sure, but I think the issues started after that. Right now I do not have any games on this PC, my 1TB HDD had issues and I swapped that with an SSD. The issues CMOS battery was causing seems to be over now. Is this new PSU causing the issue? I did not have any issues with the old one, but that was Antec 550w normal supply not 80 Plus Bronze Certified, so when I had the money I changed that to a better one.

Last edited:

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Not sure what gives, I was using third party anti-virus which got expired and decided to use Windows Defender, this was causing stuttering and since I made many changes to the PC, I was confused, so as a part of trial and error I disabled Defender and no stuttering anymore for two days and I got back the third party anti-virus renewed and installed. Maybe these decade old systems can't handle Defender. Anyhow, the issue is resolved. This info will be useful for someone still using old PC's. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.