[SOLVED] PC stuttering when playing emulator games

Sep 19, 2021
I have an issue that whenever i try and play emulator games on my 6-7 year old build my FPS is extremly low. i would think that my system should be able to run any emulator game for the most part maybe not current consoles. my son plays was playing minecraft on it with no lags or anything. i have done a complete format and reinstall of windows 10 got everything back together stll the same. ive used GURU to wipe driver files and reinstall nothing seems to work. Using GPU-z and benchmarking the 1080 preset it runs at about 7 FPS @ 21% GPU load..... so my CPU is the bottle neck i would assume.... im not sure what info you guys would like to maybe assist me but here is the PC im trying to do this on

CPU: FX-8320 OC to 3.99 (problem happens with and without OC)
MEM: 4x4GB Hyper 1866 DDR3
GPU: Sapphire AMD R9 280x 3GB
SSD: kingston 240GB
COOLER: Cooler Master ML240L
PSU: ATX LSP Ultra 500W total 600W Peak (been wondering if this is a little under powered and creating problems??)

i know it seems trivial that im worried about not being able to play emulated games but i enjoy the retro.... and feel that this rig should be able to run what im trying to.

thanks for any info and help

Solution
See here and then check your temps after taking the suggested actions:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your PSU is definitely underpowered. Should have minimum of 600w per GPU recommendations, 650w would be better.

This rig is running older tech and performance is going to lag with many applications. Just something to keep in mind.

What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatues at idle and under load?

If you lower your memory speed to 1600 in the motherboard BIOS, does the behavior change?

Sep 19, 2021
Dolphin is the main one i am having issues with.

CPU Idle temp is 20C
GPU Idle temp is 40C (seems high)

running MSI Kommbuster stress test

CPU temp is about 24-25C (@ 21% load)
GPC is 42C @ 15-17% load

these loads during the Stress test seem to being fluctuating alot each time i run it.

when i look at HWmonitor while running the benchmark GPU load is at 99% running 49C temp

my CPU is maxing at about 21% on an given core at one time running 31C

i understand that this system has dated components. just trying to figure out if it is just that dated that it cant run what im trying to or if there is an underlying issue.

thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Dolphin is the main one i am having issues with.

CPU Idle temp is 20C
GPU Idle temp is 40C (seems high)

running MSI Kommbuster stress test

CPU temp is about 24-25C (@ 21% load)
GPC is 42C @ 15-17% load

these loads during the Stress test seem to being fluctuating alot each time i run it.

when i look at HWmonitor while running the benchmark GPU load is at 99% running 49C temp

my CPU is maxing at about 21% on an given core at one time running 31C

i understand that this system has dated components. just trying to figure out if it is just that dated that it cant run what im trying to or if there is an underlying issue.

thanks
Temps seem very low (unless your room is VERY cold). How are you measuring temps?

As @kerberos_20 asked, what emulators are you running?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Reactions: Joc208
Solution
Sep 19, 2021

I will get back to you once I have followed this. Thank you