Question PC stuttering

Jan 2, 2023
Games stuttering and overall not smooth. CS:GO used to be smooth, same as overwatch. After installing a new SSD and reinstalling windows I now get stuttering in every game possible. PUBG for example, stutters a lot on every map besides Miramar, which is weird as it is silky smooth on Miramar. Did benchmarks, everything is ok (as stated in the benchmark). No bottlenecks, nothing. I really am thinking of just selling the pc and buying another one, because I really can't stand not being able to play any game I like. I bought the new GPU and SSD thinking I will play the games I want lol, now I can't even play the ones I used to.

CPU: i5 10400f
GPU: RX 6600
PSU: Seasonic S12III
RAM: Kingston Fury 16GB 2666 (single-channel: not a problem before, ran tests, no errors)
MOBO: H410-HDV (ASRock)
HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM
SSD: 512 Silicone Power SATA

Ran a ton of benchmarks, reinstalled windows 8 times, turned on or of various settings in windows (prefetch, HPET, page file)
Is there any software that can pinpoint the reason for the stuttering ? Cuz I really have no clue.

Stuttering is a temporary lack of a needed resource.
Usually, this is cpu or gpu.
But it could also be lack of sufficient ram or possibly lack of threads in a multiplayer environment.

Using a single stick of ram makes your cpu run slower since it precludes dual channel operation. But the difference is not great.

If you are running other apps such as discord, it can impact your performance.
If you contracted malware, it can slow you down.

Jan 2, 2023
Stuttering is a temporary lack of a needed resource.
Usually, this is cpu or gpu.
But it could also be lack of sufficient ram or possibly lack of threads in a multiplayer environment.

Using a single stick of ram makes your cpu run slower since it precludes dual channel operation. But the difference is not great.

If you are running other apps such as discord, it can impact your performance.
If you contracted malware, it can slow you down.
I understand that, but the thing is, before the stuttering happened, I used the same system with the same single channel ram and it ran perfectly fine (Overwatch had no stuttering or microstuttering before, same as csgo)

Jan 2, 2023
What is different from when all was running well?

Well, a short walktrough:
  1. Same PC without the SSD & the new GPU (used to have GTX 960) ran well. Overwatch was smooth at low settings, cs-go was behaving normally, rainbow six was smooth at a lower setting.
  2. Got the new GPU, everything was the same, but at higher graphic settings. Overwatch was smooth (only game i tested from those 3). This was on the same windows installation.
  3. Got the SSD. Reinstalled windows and began having weird 5 seconds while playing Overwatch when the game was not smooth. It was very choppy, but with high fps. Fast forward, I haven't played ow in a long time, but I gave pubg a try. PUBG is smooth on Miramar ( except for some stutters which are barely there), but other maps suck as Erengel or Vikendi are stuttering constantly and not smooth whatsoever. Warzone 2 is a stuttering mess and Apex Legends is stuttering, even though I have over 75 fps and in training is perfectly smooth. When I try to play the battle royale itself it stutters too much. Also, Genshin Impact stutters now, it didnt stutter before. Also, tried to play Vampire Masquerade. Same stuttering as in PUBG, Apex and Warzone2.
What I did try, regarding to the SSD was:
  • Test it (crystaldiskinfo and it ran fine)
  • Page File switched to HDD (same stuttering)
  • Removed the HDD and left the SSD only (same stuttering)
IMPORTANT: As I've seen, benchmarks are perfectly smooth. I will try again this weekend and I'll go over again with the benchmarks and stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023
I have a similar problem and i tried for years now, nothing helped, but maybe something helps you.
If the problems started after using an SSD and new windows install:
  • Try an older Windows Version
  • Install new Drivers for ALL of your devices not only GPU !!
  • Install GPU driver and wipe with DDU before
  • Install newest BIOS Version
  • Make sure you have PCIe 3 or 4 enabled in BIOS depending on your SSD
  • Enable/Disable Windows Game Modus
  • Set Powerplan to Ultimate/High Performance
  • Disable GameDVR
  • Disable Root Enum Device & MS Device A.. Root Enumerator in Device-Manager
  • Try dedicated SSD Testing Suites
  • use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner
Hope it helps.

Jan 2, 2023
I have a similar problem and i tried for years now, nothing helped, but maybe something helps you.
If the problems started after using an SSD and new windows install:
  • Try an older Windows Version
  • Install new Drivers for ALL of your devices not only GPU !!
  • Install GPU driver and wipe with DDU before
  • Install newest BIOS Version
  • Make sure you have PCIe 3 or 4 enabled in BIOS depending on your SSD
  • Enable/Disable Windows Game Modus
  • Set Powerplan to Ultimate/High Performance
  • Disable GameDVR
  • Disable Root Enum Device & MS Device A.. Root Enumerator in Device-Manager
  • Try dedicated SSD Testing Suites
  • use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner
Hope it helps.
I'll try these tomorrow when I wake up. Thank you for taking your time to answer. I'll come back with an update as soon as I can.

Jan 2, 2023
Nope. Temps are fine.

UPDATE: Swapped the gpu with the old one and the SSD with the HDD only. Besides the HDD making sounds like it's gonna die soon, my pc runs as expected, stutterless. The SSD or the new gpu is the cause. I will swap the gpu for the new one in a couple of days to see if the SSD is the one that causes issues.

To make sure it's not a software issue, did you thoroughly uninstall the old graphics drivers before installing the new GPU and it's drivers? If you don't do this, it can leave the trace ID of the previous GPU and cause problems. DDU is a great tool to thoroughly remove drivers in safe mode.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023
Hi, I'm sorry to bother you.
I am having stuttering problems too severe . I am trying to report here as I have not been able to fix this problem. @farkozy Were you able to fix the problem? If so, what was the problem that caused the stuttering?