Question PC stutters/freezes after many hours of gaming

EvanVanVan

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013
Hi, my PC starts to freeze/stutter for 1-10 seconds after playing Spiderman Remastered for several (like 5+) hours. I'm playing in 4K 120hz with every setting maxed, so it could just be the rtx3090 graphics card, but it's fine for so long, so idk. I assume these type of delayed issues are usually temperature related, but I've been monitoring the temps of all my hardware and they seem to be within safe operating limits... The game does show a loading symbol when it freezes and the RTX effects take a second to load (FWIW by the time the issues start turning off RTX and lowering the graphics settings to LOW doesn't help). I wondered if it could be my Samsung 980 pro NVMe running too hot, but it doesn't seem to be (and Samsung Magcian shows normal read/write speeds at the time).

I have a couple components that may or may not be causing the issue... 1. The Treadripper 3970x is not a great gaming CPU. 2. Like I said, if I recall Samsung 980 pro NVMe's run hot, and I don't have any cooler on it other than the motherboards heatsink. 3. My PSU is a little undersize, but it's a Corsair RM750x and it's my understanding that if the PC isn't shutting down for safety it's ok. (My UPS shows about 700W of load while gaming.) Is it possible that it is voltage related though? I don't have anything overclocked over than ram setup with an XMP profile (or whatever the AMD version is called). I was reading somewhere that people were having low voltage memory problems with my MB. I don't understand that well enough though.

I've been monitoring in HWiNFO64 and MSi Afterburner...but nothing sticks out. Nothing is being thermal throttled either according to NWiNFO64.

I am playing on a 10M (33ft) HDMI 2.1 fiber cable to a 65" LG G1 oled...could the HDMI cable be the issue? -As I'm typing this thread I tried googling that, and it does seem like it could be an issue..need to check the cable temp the next time it happens....

Thank you

Hardware:
Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
TRX40 ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
Corsair H150i PRO XT
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Samsung 980 PRO NVme
Corsair RM750x

EvanVanVan

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013
Oh, I didn't see this reply and didn't get an email about it. :/

Yeah, I wish I knew which component specifically. I'm hoping it solves itself in a couple months during the winter when the temp in my house drops ~8°F.