PC Subwoofers! Options $'d already.

HHocker

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi astronauts,

I've purchased myself a set of KEF X300A for my PC sound. I've convinced myself the subwoofer I just bought will be workable one way or other with the satellites which are amazing as they have a reputation for. The Cerwin Vega PC subwoofer model XD8s.

I've read and read the data available. I have the cables I need but the subwoofer isn't here yet.

Question for you. It has nothing to do with whether or not I'm happy with the sub.

---->> PC 3.5 stereo out (direct stream) to the sub by RCA In. RCA Out then out to 3.5mm on the KEF's. This sub should be able to do this.

But am I 100% certain ..nope!

Thanks

Solution
KEF speakers: yes USB and 3.5 mm in.

As I understood the XD8 specs you have both RCA in and out.

Plus L and R TS (Tip and Sleeve) in and out. Those ports look to me to be 1/4" not 1/8" (3.5mm).....

Anyway - the Evergreen cable you have should work between the PC and the subwoofer. The Hosa cable was my thought regarding the next part: i.e., the subwoofer to the L & R speakers.

Overall you should be able to "mix and match" the connection options between the PC, subwoofer, and the speaker set. Does appear that you have choices available. Either directly with a cable you have, directly with a cable that you have plus some adapter(converter), and lastly (if necessary) a new cable.

However, simplicity rules - the fewer cables...

Ralston18

Titan
I would think that the proposed connections would work.

PC [3.5mm stereo]-----3.5mm stereo to RCA cable---->[RCA in] subwoofer [RCA out] --------RCA to 3.5 mm cable-----> KEF speakers (Left and Right)

The second cable be something like this cable:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CPR202?adpos=1o1&creative=54989267161&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=CPR202&gclid=CLWr1_z2ntICFRJYDQodeTQMJw

If those are not the cables in hand then sketch out a diagram of the connectivity needed and map the connectivity that is needed between devices.

Must match physically and electrically.

HHocker

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Why not the 3.5 IN? Its that or digital USB in.

I can pay to mod the KEF's but rather enjoy the sub with my other stereo.

Yeah someone mods these as a service.

I'll take them as-is. The sell regularly for 800.00
$450 shipped by Ebay. -perfect condition.

No bass but it's as though I'm hearing all my music over again or Blu-ray movie details.

Sub was a crazy 60 something percent off also. Normally 200 but I found it new and open box for $108.
Not sure I'll ever want to sell it. Ebay bang.

..but why not the 3.5mm?
Convert it first?

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
KEF speakers: yes USB and 3.5 mm in.

As I understood the XD8 specs you have both RCA in and out.

Plus L and R TS (Tip and Sleeve) in and out. Those ports look to me to be 1/4" not 1/8" (3.5mm).....

Anyway - the Evergreen cable you have should work between the PC and the subwoofer. The Hosa cable was my thought regarding the next part: i.e., the subwoofer to the L & R speakers.

Overall you should be able to "mix and match" the connection options between the PC, subwoofer, and the speaker set. Does appear that you have choices available. Either directly with a cable you have, directly with a cable that you have plus some adapter(converter), and lastly (if necessary) a new cable.

However, simplicity rules - the fewer cables, adapters etc. involved the better. Less to go wrong and probably less signal degradation.

Try hooking it all up with what cables you have. If the sound is not what is expected then the next step would be to buy more direct cables and/or use different port combinations.

Still recommend a sketch to help keep track of the plan and various iterations - and troubleshooting should there be a bad cable or connection.

Solution