[SOLVED] PC Sudden loss of power, what could be the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Good day, about 5 days ago my PC suddenly crashed when I launched Call of Duty: Modern Warfare(2019) and the same thing has been happening ever since whenever I try to launch any game. I've run some OCCT test and determined that it was most likely the CPU problem. However, while I wait for AMD's reply on international warranty, I've been wondering if it is possible that it's my power supply that is causing the issue. My PC would totally lose power so the RGB doesn't light up and the fans don't spin but my keyboard stays lit up.

Here's what's been happening. I am unable to totally launch COD:MW because if I do it will crash the PC, I am able to run Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition for about 5 minutes before the whole PC crashes and as for DCS World it will crash upon spawning into a server. These are the only games I play. However, this problem doesn't only happen when I'm trying to play games, it even happens when I'm in my online Blackboard class, maybe about 20 minutes in, the whole PC will crash. Occasionally, watching YouTube videos while in a Discord call will also crash it. To restart the PC, I will have to turn off the PSU switch for about 1 minute before I am able to turn it on again. Sometimes the PC won't boot and my motherboard ez debug light for the CPU lights up so I have to power off the whole thing and the PSU for a while longer then it will be able to boot.

My Game Boost was on and my memory was running XMP profile 2 for 3200MHz. The first time it happened, I had to clear the CMOS so now I'm running everything at default. What do you guys think the issue is?

My specs are as follows:
Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
32GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2070
Transcend MTE220S 1TB NVMe
Sabrent Rocket 512GB NVMe
Toshiba P300 1TB HDD
Cooler Master MWE 750W 80+ Gold
Lian-Li PC-O11

The whole build is about 1.5 years old.

Solution
Overall, I suspect a PSU/power problem. But the problem could actually be just a bad connection.

Did you check all cables and connections? Inspect all plugs and wires - especially power connectors. Any signs of looseness where the wires go into the plug or respect to the plug and the host port?

Use a bright flashlight to inspect cables and connections. Do you see any metal to metal contact between wires, split insulation, bare conductor showing?

Take a look at few of those blue "View technical details...."

I am wondering about that failed Samsung update - what Samsung component, if any, do you have? (Yellow triangles....)

Also view Windows update history. Look for failures or problems that were logged just before or during...

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the times of the crashes.

What do you see? Post accordingly. (Note: Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there.....)

=====

Also:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Reseat all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place by both visual inspection and by feel.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the times of the crashes.

What do you see? Post accordingly. (Note: Reliability History is much more user friendly so start there.....)

=====

Also:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Reseat all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place by both visual inspection and by feel.
Hi, I've got screenshots of the Reliability History from the day this problem started, they are in this imgur link View: https://imgur.com/a/5SP9cAj

As for events viewer, I have 359 errors since the last 7 days with AppModel-Runtime having the highest of 120 errors in the last 7 days and 39 errors in the last 24 hours, all of the error for AppModel-Runtime mentions "Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows."

I have also reseat the CPU along with GPU and RAM just yesterday and this time round I have much more trouble booting the PC up, just requires a longer power draw time though.

Ralston18

Titan
Overall, I suspect a PSU/power problem. But the problem could actually be just a bad connection.

Did you check all cables and connections? Inspect all plugs and wires - especially power connectors. Any signs of looseness where the wires go into the plug or respect to the plug and the host port?

Use a bright flashlight to inspect cables and connections. Do you see any metal to metal contact between wires, split insulation, bare conductor showing?

I am wondering about that failed Samsung update - what Samsung component, if any, do you have? (Yellow triangles....)

Also view Windows update history. Look for failures or problems that were logged just before or during the time span starting around Oct 1st.

Clearly there were problems all along but the problems escalated around October 13th.

However, crashes often require turning off the PC to recover and that action, on its own, generates "improperly shut down" errors.

However as a matter of elimination:

Try running Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also apply "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

After that try "dism".

Solution

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017

Also view Windows update history. Look for failures or problems that were logged just before or during the time span starting around Oct 1st.

Clearly there were problems all along but the problems escalated around October 13th.

However, crashes often require turning off the PC to recover and that action, on its own, generates "improperly shut down" errors.

However as a matter of elimination:

Try running Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also apply "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

After that try "dism".
Hi, tried SFC and DISM, both came up nothing. Seems like my Windows is fine. The Samsung component should be when I connected my S9+ to my computer to backup, I remember a Samsung component being installed then. As for the cables and connections I have made sure they are all plugged in correctly. As for the yellow triangle warnings in Reliability Monitor, they seem to be a wide range of issues from Microsoft Gaming, Microsoft will indicate Failed Windows Update and as for others like AMD Ryzen Master or Google Update Helper it will mention 'Unsuccessful application installation' and 'Unsuccessful application reconfiguration'. In the few crashes I had in the last 24 hours one thing in common they all had is hardware error.

I'm heading down to Cooler Master's service center in a day to check out if it is my power supply that is causing the issue and I will let you know if it is. Thank you for helping me so far.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My experience in this situation is that it's more likely the MB than PSU. PSU is usually under max stress during boot and if it were the PSU then usually the PC won't be able to boot into OS. That it boots and only loses power during the middle of game play is more associated with MB, usually some capacitors failing to hold enough juice.

Also it wasn't clear from your post if it were BSOD or PC losing power. BSOD could mean the system drive is failing. This happened with my first couple of SSD systems. SSD does not die a clean death like mechanical HDD and what I thought was power failures were actually failing SSD running the OS. Now I run SSD manufacturer' utility every time I got a BSOD to confirm the health.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
My experience in this situation is that it's more likely the MB than PSU. PSU is usually under max stress during boot and if it were the PSU then usually the PC won't be able to boot into OS. That it boots and only loses power during the middle of game play is more associated with MB, usually some capacitors failing to hold enough juice.

Also it wasn't clear from your post if it were BSOD or PC losing power. BSOD could mean the system drive is failing. This happened with my first couple of SSD systems. SSD does not die a clean death like mechanical HDD and what I thought was power failures were actually failing SSD running the OS. Now I run SSD manufacturer' utility every time I got a BSOD to confirm the health.
Hi, it wasn't BSOD the whole PC just lost power just like that. I ran SFC and DISM and CHKDSK and at first there were some corrupt files found but they were repaired successfully and subsequent scans shows up no corrupted files. At that time I thought it was a CPU crash but with the help of Ralston, it seems that my power supply is most likely the component having issues. I won't rule out CPU or MB issues yet until I get my PSU tested. I have checked the health of my SSD using Transcend Scope(it won't detect my drive now anymore) and last I remember it was at around 89% health around a month ago.

Lima0-1

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Okay. Once the PSU test results are known then we can move on from there.

Do ask questions about the PSU testing being done. What do they test and how did they test it?

FYI - Recommended reading:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
Hello, the problem seems to be with the PSU, I brought it to the service center they tested it and were unable to boot their test bench at all. I went to the service center only wanting them to test it because my PSU was bought overseas and Cooler Master doesn't provide international warranty but the service provider very kindly offered to exchange my faulty PSU free of charge and gave me a brand new MWE 750W V2 and it works great.

Right now the only issue I have is not being able to run with Game Boost enabled, I get constant BSODs and corrupt files error when I enable Game Boost so I have to figure out the issue with it. Apart from that, everything works perfectly.

Thank you so much for your help, I was on the verge of splashing out $600+ for a Ryzen 9 out of frustration thinking it was my CPU that has gone faulty and you basically saved me from doing that.

Ralston18

Titan
Recommend that you start a new thread in PC Gaming regarding the problems with Game Boost.

As always include full system hardware specs and OS information.

List the games that you are playing and describe the problem as best you can.,

Very likely that someone in the PC Gaming community will be familiar with any ongoing Game Boost issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS