[SOLVED] PC suddenly crash with green screen

Apr 3, 2021
Ok my specs are
I5 10 gen
Gigabyte 590 UD AC mainboard
Card SAPPHIRE AMD Video Card Radeon RX 580 4GB 256bit Gaming Graphics Cards
Issue i am having is my pc suddenly crash while playing battlefield 1 and green blank screen come. Day before it happen once and yesterday twice
Any solution?
I am having good air flow
4 fans front
3 bottom
3 top 2
2 rare + water cooling for CPU

Last edited:
Solution
its hd sentinel, I have it myself... it thinks my nvme is 137days old, and my hdd is 229 days, they are same age but nvme is able to sleep while not being used.

But I assume you mean the errors, well... when HWINFO looked at drive it only had 3 bad sectors, now its 4
you could have clicked link under sentence, it probably explain what it means.

did you run chkdsk? if you did, it appears it has grown more problems. You might want to think about a new hdd if it keeps losing sectors.

also, could try different cables as it also suggests.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is your avatar what it looks like?

its not a GSOD, its just a green screen.

looking I see the Green screen and RX 480 combo.. some cases its a bad card. if it happens in games, that is normally where cards do fail.

its possible card could still over heat even with all that cooling. Could be the tim on the GPU wearing out and its running way hotter than it should.
In my last PC, I had 3 x 180mm fans as intake in one of the best Air cooling cases you could buy, the GPU had its own 180mm fan to use as intake and yet it still started to run really hot after 5 years when its tim wore out.

I would track temps in game using HWINFO and see if it does peak at all when it green screens
download this - https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
when you start it, click the box next to sensors only and click run
in next window, there are icons along bottom.
click the icon to right of the clock, it should say "logging start" if you hover over button
this opens file explorer, it lets you name a log file and put it somewhere you will remember.
run logging until you crash again. Need to start it each time as it isn't auto.
you can read outputs in Excel or Google docs

what PSU do you have?

Reactions: JojoSCPD
Apr 3, 2021
Is your avatar what it looks like?

its not a GSOD, its just a green screen.

looking I see the Green screen and RX 480 combo.. some cases its a bad card. if it happens in games, that is normally where cards do fail.

its possible card could still over heat even with all that cooling. Could be the tim on the GPU wearing out and its running way hotter than it should.
In my last PC, I had 3 x 180mm fans as intake in one of the best Air cooling cases you could buy, the GPU had its own 180mm fan to use as intake and yet it still started to run really hot after 5 years when its tim wore out.

I would track temps in game using HWINFO and see if it does peak at all when it green screens
download this - https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
when you start it, click the box next to sensors only and click run
in next window, there are icons along bottom.
click the icon to right of the clock, it should say "logging start" if you hover over button
this opens file explorer, it lets you name a log file and put it somewhere you will remember.
run logging until you crash again. Need to start it each time as it isn't auto.
you can read outputs in Excel or Google docs

what PSU do you have?
Yes same my green screen avatar.no written error just in middle of game display out i mean no voicr of game neither discord chat voice and this green screen come up like unexpected. Yesterday it happen twice. But i noticed in my case nothing stop or blink i mean card fans working cpu everything is working i plug out hdmi and replug it same green screen. If card fail dont we hear game sound like sometime when display out we could still hear background game sound etc . My psu is 800W
Ill surely run above program today while it runing should i play game?
And sorry my card is SAPPHIRE AMD Video Card Radeon RX 580 4GB 256bit Gaming Graphics Cards

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
what make/model PSU

If games cause the green screen, run hwinfo at same time.

if you want us to check the output of the log file, upload it to a file sharing website and show link here.
Thermalteck. Ok aftet runing hwinfo ill play game? When it crash where do file store?

Apr 3, 2021
run it until you get Green screen.

How often do you get it?

files are stored wherever you put them when you press logging start each time.
i just played least for two minutes and this time black screen come up again hang . how to upload excel file here? behind HW was ruining behind

Apr 3, 2021
Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
sorry, we had bad weather last 2 days

GPU max temp only reaches 74c, not that hot.
one of your ssd/hdd is showing Current pending sector count of 8 & and also unallocated sector count of 8 - Briefly, the 'Current Pending Sector Count' warning indicates imminent drive failure and requires urgent backup & recovery followed by hard drive or SSD replacement. ... The parameter indicates the number of unstable sectors on a hard drive or SSD that are yet to be remapped or reallocated.

running chkdsk might fix this. Another fix is reinstall windows, and final choice is replace drive - https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/current-pending-sector-count.html

do you only have one drive in PC?
what makes/models are they?

temps look about right. I don't see anything in there that helped besides the drive health.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021
sorry, we had bad weather last 2 days

GPU max temp only reaches 74c, not that hot.
one of your ssd/hdd is showing Current pending sector count of 8 & and also unallocated sector count of 8 - Briefly, the 'Current Pending Sector Count' warning indicates imminent drive failure and requires urgent backup & recovery followed by hard drive or SSD replacement. ... The parameter indicates the number of unstable sectors on a hard drive or SSD that are yet to be remapped or reallocated.

running chkdsk might fix this. Another fix is reinstall windows, and final choice is replace drive - https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/current-pending-sector-count.html

do you only have one drive in PC?
what makes/models are they?

temps look about right. I don't see anything in there that helped besides the drive health.
ah its ok i though you might be busy :) my ssd contain windows only and got 2 hard disks 74 temp is ok? i mean isnt it high?

Colif

Win 11 Master
70 to 80 is fine if the card is under load - https://www.onecomputerguy.com/rx-580-max-temp

HWINFO only showing one drive so I have to assume its C - you can tell by looking on the sensors screen of HWINFO as all I got was a print out of all of that, so if it only shows 1 drive, its that one.

open command prompt with admin rights
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs may pop up, agree to running it at startup and restart PC to let scan run, if its the ssd it might fix the sectors.

In case its the hdd,
type chkdsk x: /f /r and press enter
may or may not be paragraphs, it should only happen on system drives though.
NOTE replace x: with drive letter of the drive. I used X as I don't know what it is.

Apr 3, 2021
70 to 80 is fine if the card is under load - https://www.onecomputerguy.com/rx-580-max-temp

HWINFO only showing one drive so I have to assume its C - you can tell by looking on the sensors screen of HWINFO as all I got was a print out of all of that, so if it only shows 1 drive, its that one.

open command prompt with admin rights
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs may pop up, agree to running it at startup and restart PC to let scan run, if its the ssd it might fix the sectors.

In case its the hdd,
type chkdsk x: /f /r and press enter
may or may not be paragraphs, it should only happen on system drives though.
NOTE replace x: with drive letter of the drive. I used X as I don't know what it is.

these are result of my d drive Hard disk
Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
103168 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 785.20 milliseconds.
19 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed.
Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.19 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
32 reparse records processed.
107934 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Phase duration (Index verification): 4.52 seconds.
0 unindexed files scanned.
Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 8.28 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 1.45 milliseconds.
32 reparse records processed.
Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 1.36 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 33.26 milliseconds.
2383 data files processed.
Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 0.50 milliseconds.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

976759807 KB total disk space.
588286368 KB in 38231 files.
11924 KB in 2385 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
198947 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
388262568 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
244189951 total allocation units on disk.
97065642 allocation units available on disk.
Total duration: 5.36 seconds (5362 ms).

here are result of my hard disk F
C:\WINDOWS\system32> chkdsk f: /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
4352 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 76.70 milliseconds.
0 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.36 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed.
Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.38 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
203 reparse records processed.
4522 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Phase duration (Index verification): 91.40 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files scanned.
Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 0.51 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 0.73 milliseconds.
203 reparse records processed.
Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 1.78 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 10.70 milliseconds.
85 data files processed.
Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 1.42 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

153086975 KB total disk space.
12611512 KB in 1174 files.
396 KB in 87 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
74975 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
140400092 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
38271743 total allocation units on disk.
35100023 allocation units available on disk.
Total duration: 191.38 milliseconds (191 ms).

todays log files it crash again today
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dT2yPfaTcBhrKqIxLxSLjU7Yt1ILp5rj/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KvV5Q8V0nL8APmaT9x5LSm0uneZr-GqC/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021

Colif

Win 11 Master
So does HWINFO still show the warnings after chkdsk was run? as chkdsk may have fixed it?

If they still show the error its possible the drives don't have any more spare sectors to use and it would be advisable to replace them so that you don't lose data.
its possible games could be crashing because of the drives.

both drives showing warnings are Seagate. You can run this on them to test them more - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

Apr 3, 2021
yes it show so crash is due to it?
So does HWINFO still show the warnings after chkdsk was run? as chkdsk may have fixed it?

If they still show the error its possible the drives don't have any more spare sectors to use and it would be advisable to replace them so that you don't lose data.

both drives showing warnings are Seagate. You can run this on them to test them more - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmm, I am not sure.

It feels like I am jumping to conclusions blaming drives. It might be them if games are on the drives. but black screen is an odd reaction.
Why I suggested seatools, see what the software made by harddrive makers says

can you look in reliability history
it will show critical errors for any time you need to restart PC after black screens - will show as hardware error... but does it show any other errors?

Apr 3, 2021
hmm, I am not sure.

It feels like I am jumping to conclusions blaming drives. It might be them if games are on the drives. but black screen is an odd reaction.
Why I suggested seatools, see what the software made by harddrive makers says

can you look in reliability history
it will show critical errors for any time you need to restart PC after black screens - will show as hardware error... but does it show any other errors?
how to look in history

Apr 3, 2021

i download this tool but there are many test which to run can you guide?