Question PC suddenly crashing, boot-looping, errors

mikefraser

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Hello,

My PC has been running great for years. No configuration changes.
Suddenly, I've had some freezes, restarts, and error messages.
MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard. Never overclocked, mostly used as a DVR and media center.

Symptoms:
Windows (8.1) will suddenly freeze, sometimes generating a loud squeal through the speakers.
BSOD error: "Your PC ran into a problem...." "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
When the PC is restarted, it will continuously power-cycle every 5-10 seconds. No POST messages, no BIOS.
When PC finally comes up to POST screen, I see the message: "All settings were reset to default values. The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to its default settings"

Thanks for any advice!
Mike

Edit - Sorry, accidentally posted this in "CPU" forum. Can't figure out how to delete or move.
Hopefully someone may still assist me!

1111eugene

Commendable
Feb 19, 2019
check the little round battery on the motherboard
update the bios
diagnose temperatures with some soft
and voltage with some tool

but first of all check maybe you get some malware or viruses

mikefraser

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2013
Thanks for the reply. The problem seems to have gone away (at maybe it's dormant).

While it was bootlooping, I noticed the code on the motherboard would reach "55", which translates to "memory missing" or something. I pulled out the second bank of memory, which allowed the pc to come up to POST.
I was prompted with something like "restore to default settings?", so I clicked Yes on that. Which brought me into BIOS, which was all set to default.

After restarting and confirming Windows was all good, I powered down, reinserted the memory, and everything has been good for the last couple days.

So I still don't really know what my problem was... maybe a corrupt BIOS, possibly a flaky RAM chip. Oh, and I did take the PC outside and blew a year's worth of dust off. Maybe that helped!

Thanks again,
Mike

palakbisht

BANNED
Mar 5, 2019
Hello,

My PC has been running great for years. No configuration changes.
Suddenly, I've had some freezes, restarts, and error messages.
MSI Z77A-GD65 motherboard. Never overclocked, mostly used as a DVR and media center.

Symptoms:
Windows (8.1) will suddenly freeze, sometimes generating a loud squeal through the speakers.
BSOD error: "Your PC ran into a problem...." "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
When the PC is restarted, it will continuously power-cycle every 5-10 seconds. No POST messages, no BIOS.
When PC finally comes up to POST screen, I see the message: "All settings were reset to default values. The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to its default settings"

Thanks for any advice!
Mike

Edit - Sorry, accidentally posted this in "CPU" forum. Can't figure out how to delete or move.
Hopefully someone may still assist me!
hi
may be this will help you
Continuous restart due to Hardware failure. Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to reboot continuously. The problem could be the RAM, Hard Drive, Power Supply, Graphics Card or External devices: – or it could be an overheating or BIOS issue.