Question PC suddenly died and won't start again

bertseg

Commendable
Oct 12, 2017
It was running one moment and then it wasn't. I had my back turned so I can't tell whether there had been a blue screen or something. It won't start at all when I hit the power button. Having opened it open, I can see there's a slight whirl of the CPU fan when I try to start the computer, before it stops again. There's a light burning on the mobo when the power supply is on. I've tried removing one RAM card at a time (of the two), which didn't help.

Before this happened, I noticed my computer was being quite loud of late. I hadn't cleaned it for dust for a good while, yet it stayed load that after I did clean it (though I hadn't done a very thorough job).

Could it be the PSU? Or does the light on the mobo rule that out? Aside of another HD (and this doesn't feel like an HD issue), I don't have any spare parts lying around so I can't replace them one by one.

Thanks.

Too little information.

Posting a hardware list might help others to assist you.

What does the manual for your motherboard indicate the light is?

Disconnecting all hardware NOT absolutely required to get the computer to POST is the first test. You don't care about error messages at this point, you just want to see that the computer can actually reach the point , where you get the computer to display something coherent on the monitor.

bertseg

Commendable
Oct 12, 2017
The manual doesn't seem to mention that light. It's just above the front panel header. Green with the the annotation "SB_PWR" or "SD_PWR".

AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3Ghz
GeForce 8800 GTS
4GB RAM DD3 1333
Corsair TX650 V2 (650W)
Western Digital 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3Gbp/s 64MB cache WD20EURS-73SPKY0
Asus M5A78L/USB3
Acer AL1917 19" LCD