[SOLVED] PC suddenly died overnight!?!

Mar 25, 2021
So everything had been working great and then I update R6: Siege to get the ultra HD pack and left it on overnight to install. When I returned in the morning my pc had restarted and windows was acting up with a couple of graphical glitches with certain images and my programs/games wouldnt load up and would crash and eventually ended up giving me a blue screen and turned off. I went to search up the issue on chrome once it turned back on and chrome was behaving oddly as well, my extentions redownloaded evertime i opened chrome up, I was always logged out, and webpages wouldnt stay open for more than 30 seconds without failing with an opps error.

So I concluded something was wrong with Windows and i tried to reset it but I kept getting blue screened when I tried to do so. On one attempt I got about half way done with the reset until the pc crashed and switched off but upon reboot windows had gone, there was nothing to boot, so i had to switch to my other system to download an iso onto a usb to reinstall windows but I tried for about 2 days to get it to reinstall onto my system but i was met with crashes everytime.
At this point I was sure it was a corrupted m.2 drive thats caused these errors, so I took it out of my faulty pc and installed it into my other system and reinstalled windows using the same usb and it worked first time. I was able to download files, open programs, chrome worked great. So i reinstalled it back into my faulty pc and i had all the same problems as before except i now had windows installed again.

MSI themselves have been giving me suggestions all of which have failed unfortunatly but I have been able to eliminate the graphics card, ram, m.2 drive, and the psu as the cause of the issue.

Here are the suggestions msi told me to try: Regarding your concern, thanks for contacting us.
Do you get any error message when you try to reinstall the windows?
Please unplug the power supply and CMOS battery for a while, then just connect the CPU/FAN/VGA/RAM/PSU/KB/Mouse/system drive to double check it.
If you have another devices on hand, please do the cross-test.
Before you install the os, also please enter to BIOS to disable the onboard wifi controller for a try. Thanks a lot !

For this case, would you please connect your system drive to another computer and then format it completely to try?
Also please uninstall the current RAM modules, then just connect one module to another slot to double check it. Thanks a lot

For this case, have you followed our former suggestion to check it with the default mode in BIOS?
You can also disable the power save option such as EIST/C-state to double check it.
Also please adjust a little CPU voltage to try.
If possible, please try to gear up CPU Lite Load option in BIOS. Thanks!

Or you can change to CSM mode to try?
if the former suggestion still cannot help, we have to suggest you contact the MB seller and ask them to test it directly for you. Thanks!

END OF MSI SUPPORT

So my response to these would be explain what happens when I do the things they suggest which usually changes nothing.
If anyone knows any cause or fix for this I would be very happy.

Thanks,
Lewis

MSI z490 gaming edge wifi
Intel 17-10700k
Nvidia Geforce 3070 FE
2X 8gb corsair 3200mhz
Samsung evo plus m.2 ssd 500gb
Seagate 2tb hdd

Solution
Hmm, you've pretty much exhausted most troubleshooting steps. At this point, it would make sense replacing the motherboard under warranty and then see.

It's possible there could have been a power surge during the night.
Mar 25, 2021
So everything had been working great and then I update R6: Siege to get the ultra HD pack and left it on overnight to install. When I returned in the morning my pc had restarted and windows was acting up with a couple of graphical glitches with certain images and my programs/games wouldnt load up and would crash and eventually ended up giving me a blue screen and turned off. I went to search up the issue on chrome once it turned back on and chrome was behaving oddly as well, my extentions redownloaded evertime i opened chrome up, I was always logged out, and webpages wouldnt stay open for more than 30 seconds without failing with an opps error.

So I concluded something was wrong with Windows and i tried to reset it but I kept getting blue screened when I tried to do so. On one attempt I got about half way done with the reset until the pc crashed and switched off but upon reboot windows had gone, there was nothing to boot, so i had to switch to my other system to download an iso onto a usb to reinstall windows but I tried for about 2 days to get it to reinstall onto my system but i was met with crashes everytime.
At this point I was sure it was a corrupted m.2 drive thats caused these errors, so I took it out of my faulty pc and installed it into my other system and reinstalled windows using the same usb and it worked first time. I was able to download files, open programs, chrome worked great. So i reinstalled it back into my faulty pc and i had all the same problems as before except i now had windows installed again.

MSI themselves have been giving me suggestions all of which have failed unfortunatly but I have been able to eliminate the graphics card, ram, m.2 drive, and the psu as the cause of the issue.

Here are the suggestions msi told me to try: Regarding your concern, thanks for contacting us.
Do you get any error message when you try to reinstall the windows?
Please unplug the power supply and CMOS battery for a while, then just connect the CPU/FAN/VGA/RAM/PSU/KB/Mouse/system drive to double check it.
If you have another devices on hand, please do the cross-test.
Before you install the os, also please enter to BIOS to disable the onboard wifi controller for a try. Thanks a lot !

For this case, would you please connect your system drive to another computer and then format it completely to try?
Also please uninstall the current RAM modules, then just connect one module to another slot to double check it. Thanks a lot

For this case, have you followed our former suggestion to check it with the default mode in BIOS?
You can also disable the power save option such as EIST/C-state to double check it.
Also please adjust a little CPU voltage to try.
If possible, please try to gear up CPU Lite Load option in BIOS. Thanks!

Or you can change to CSM mode to try?
if the former suggestion still cannot help, we have to suggest you contact the MB seller and ask them to test it directly for you. Thanks!

END OF MSI SUPPORT

So my response to these would be explain what happens when I do the things they suggest which usually changes nothing.
If anyone knows any cause or fix for this I would be very happy.

Thanks,
Lewis

MSI Z490 gaming edge wifi
NVidia geforce 3070 fe
Intel i7 10700k
Samsung evo plus 500gb
2tb seagate hdd
2X 8gb corsair 3200mhz
Corsair cooler h100

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU? Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? Speaking of motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at the moment? The 510i is a case from NZXT, that's not an AIO or a cooler of sorts, so, how are you cooling your processor?

What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? In order to make your bootable installer for Windows 10, you only need to work with Windows Media Creation Tools.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So you did try everything they suggested? How did you rule out psu, gpu and ram? What power supply are you running? Brand, model, wattage and age please. Did you build this system yourself?

BSODs can be the result of many things but are commonly caused by faulty ram, system drive, corrupted OS/drivers because of faulty ram/drive, overheating processor, faulty motherboard. Since this happened over night, it could've been the cooler's pump failing causing the cpu to overheat and shut down and possibly corrupting OS. What are idle temps like in bios? And if you get a chance, check temps in Windows if possible with Coretemp/ Hwinfo64 (sensors only).

The way Chrome was acting sounds more like what a virus would do, did it still do this after fresh install? I wouldn't think faulty hardware would cause that, might be a coincidence. Where from were you installing R6 texture pack?

Installing Windows on another system for transplant can have it's own set of problems, even though Win10 is better than previous OS's at doing this, i'd still try get it installed on yours only.

Check cpu temps and test your ram;

Use MS Media Creation tool on your other PC to prepare the latest Win10 build on USB. Try install with only one stick of ram installed, try the other if it fails. Second slot from cpu for single stick. If you haven't tried yet, remove the gpu and use the motherboard's igpu port to troubleshoot Windows install.

Mar 25, 2021

Make and model of your PSU? Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? Speaking of motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at the moment? The 510i is a case from NZXT, that's not an AIO or a cooler of sorts, so, how are you cooling your processor?

What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? In order to make your bootable installer for Windows 10, you only need to work with Windows Media Creation Tools.

So all components were purchased in January and have been fully functioning up until this sudden failure. I have corsair RM 650 80 plus gold psu, the ram is installed on slot 2 and 4. Sorry for the confusing with the cooler, its actually the corsair hydro h100x240.

I use windows home and created the uso using the media creation tool from microsofts website. I'm also using the most up to date bios version .160.

My gpu temps would be around 70 and cpu around 70 without overclock both under load from msfs2020 for example.

So methods I have used to cross of the hardware have been taking one ram out and running a boot and then swapping to the other ram and running the system again. I also tried the same but on slots 1 and 3.

I removed the gpu and plugged hdmi into the mobo slot. I had the same graphical glitches.

I installed the m.2 into my laptop and installed windows via my laptops system which was successful and i could access chrome without glitches or blue screen. I then reinstalled the m.2 to the faulty pc and the faults returned. I have also formatted this drive twice.

Im not sure how to test the cpu and i dont have another mobo to install it too but temps seem normal to me. MSI told me to change the voltage to see if it would change anything which it didnt. I overclocked the cpu and ram so i would get 5.1 ghtz and 3200 htz of ram, which was successful but had no affect on my issue.

I have reset the cmos and gone through all of the suggestions from msi and i have had no luck. I have also checked the cables for damage and if anything is loose which it isnt.

I also updated the game from ubisoft connect, so all official channels.

I will try to install windows onto the faulty pc though using the ram method you suggested but that'll have to be once I finish work. So i'll get back to you on that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, you've pretty much exhausted most troubleshooting steps. At this point, it would make sense replacing the motherboard under warranty and then see.

Solution
Mar 25, 2021

That thought did cross my mind about a power surge but my psu has surge protection built in. I dont think the UK has power surges that big to destroy the system but of course i could be wrong and it could have been that afterall.

Mar 25, 2021

Do you have any tips as to what to say to msi or the company i bought it from to get a new one or a repair under warranty. Is there a way of shortening my issue down to just a few lines that anyone could understand because I struggled to know what to put into google when this 1st came about, all i could think of is sudden system death.