ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
Hello,
My PC died suddenly. I played Skyrim last night and when I turned it on today, it showed no sign of life. I took it out and tested the PSU. I guess the PSU is ok because I connected the green and the black wires of the connector and the fan was working. I think it might be the motherboard because the mouse and the keyboard randomly turned off for a few seconds earlier. I did notice one thing this morning before I tried to turn on the PC. The mouse light was faintly blinking every few seconds and the speakers made a bup noise at the same time. So I guess the usb ports were being powered every few seconds, but the PC was not turning on.

Specs
CPU: Intel I5 4440
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S-LGA 1150
Ram: Hyperx Fury 8GB
SSD/HDD: WD Black 1 GB + Seagate 1 Gb (Don't Know the exact one)
GPU: Zotac GTX 960 4Gb
PSU: Corsais CX430 (5-6 Years old)
Chassis: Intex Case (A cheap case from an Indian Brand)

Last edited:
Solution
Could be dead PSU or dead board, problem with gpu.
Try with a different PSU first.
Try to start your pc using integrated GPU (graphics card removed).

Lutfij

Titan
The paper clip test on a PSU is a failed test and does not indicate how much power the PSU can effectively output to the entire system.

Speaking of system, please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

and include the age of your PSU.

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
The paper clip test on a PSU is a failed test and does not indicate how much power the PSU can effectively output to the entire system.

Speaking of system, please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

and include the age of your PSU.
I didn't know it was not an efficient test. What do you recommend I should do? And I also listed my system specs

mgallo848

Commendable
I would lean on the side of the PSU failing. I'm not saying it can't but a Intel CPU and mobo at stock speeds have less of a chance of failing than the PSU (unless you've had a recent storm in the area or an electrical surge in the house).

ironman33155

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
I would lean on the side of the PSU failing. I'm not saying it can't but a Intel CPU and mobo at stock speeds have less of a chance of failing than the PSU (unless you've had a recent storm in the area or an electrical surge in the house).
I have another PC (my old one), which I have not used for almost 2 years. I can test the PSU on that one.