Question PC suddenly does not boot, help!

blink180

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Hey guys, so one day my pc decided not to boot, the only thing i got was fans on and off immediately. If this helps, each time i tried to power on the fans flicker and turn off but if i were to try power again, it would need to save up power for a moment to be able to quickly flicker the fans at power on.
So i thought it had to be a PSU or MOBO problem. Well i bought a new psu, ... nothing, bought a new mobo and cpu and ram.. nothing, RAM installed in slot A1 A2 correctly. Tried different combos and nothing. I bought an external power button, nothing.
i literally took the system apart almost 10 or more times already.
Remember the PC was working, Then the next day no boot.
Stand offs are installed correctly (matched with holes on mobo only) no extra standoffs shorting the mobo. Power switch, reset switch, Power led and hdd led all correctly installed.
i then thought the wires in the back of the pc case were touching the back plate of the cpu. which they were but it was not the problem, this is a new system. I still have the same GPU but i know that a dead GPU won't stop a boot right?
Now with new psu cpu and mobo and ram, not even the fans flicker at power on anymore. I'm stuck and don't know what to do i'm losing hope.
Would PC case standoffs go bad forever if they caused a short circuit unless i replace them???
i've tried out of case boot with my x58 mobo and it seemed to turn on and light up, i tried with my recent z97 mobo and it doesn't boot.
I have a completely new system CPU RAM MOBO PSU, old GPU.
Nothing is working and i don't know why, i can only think that its the case but i've already tried taking everything out and back in, multiple times. I do not have integrated graphics on the mobo so i need a video card.
Here is what happened the last time i turned it off.
I was playing a game and closed it and quickly powered off my pc highly possibly not allowing cool down and a heat problem..... not sure.
the next day, power button- it flickered the fans led and failed to power on.
I have a new system though... and if my computer was shorted, then why did it last 3 years (with multiple cleaning) on a short circuit?
Also dead Hard drives wouldn't cause a computer to not power on right?

please someone help :''''''(

Last edited:

blink180

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
Need an actual parts list, along with make/model of the power supply.
Before I list all this, I noticed that my surge protector might be broken, everytime i plug something in, i get a more than average spark come up into the cable plug of whatever I plug in. Do you think this may have affected my psu and my psu refuses to power on with a surge like that? I think this maybe my problem, wdy think?
The power surge protector is more than 10 years old.

blink180

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
It very well could be due to a bad surge protector. If your PSU is not a quality one, it could easily die, and take your system with it, just as an FYI.
ok so i just bought a new surge protector and i hope my systems haven't fried. Keep this post open until the end of the week please. I will delete it once i fix everything thanks guys!

hunghoang

BANNED
Jun 17, 2019
Sometimes our computer or laptop simply refuses to boot. While it could be some serious trouble with your device, those issues must be resolved by at your own. With some basic troubleshooting, we can solve boot up problems with our computer like check the power supply, turn off the computer and many more.

blink180

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
All compatible
NEW CPU MOBO RAM PSU
AMD msi b450 PRO series
AMD ryzen 5 2600
DDR4 16gb corsair Vengeance LPX 2600mhz
MSI GTX 760 GAMING
Evga B3 550w bronze fully modular
Samsung evo 800 series - 128gb, 256gb, 500gb
Toshiba 7200rpm 1tb