[SOLVED] PC Suddenly Experiencing Random Stuttering and Frame Rate Drops In Game(s)

maxlamb87

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
I have tried to find the root of the problem for many days now and it is frustrating me to the core. I have experienced this in multiple games now Modern Warefare, Halo, and Rocket League. My frames will go from normal all the way down to 1-15 and then go back up. My CPU and GPU temps are both normal under stress testing and in game. My utilization of my RAM and GPU never go near max, my CPU can hit 100% but that is normal is far as I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a list of things I have tried and my specs are listed at the bottom. Even as I type this I am getting stuttering just watching Netflix. Last hardware change I made to my computer was installing my 2080 back in June.

I have tried.
Updating my Bios, Graphics Card, and Windows. Turning off all of the windows game stuff and my Discord/NVIDIA overlay. Scanning my hard drives for bad sectors. Running Virus scans, cleaning the computer through various tools. Resetting Windows. Cleaning all the dust out of my computer. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Test, no errors.

My Specs.
  • CPU: I7-6700K CPU @ 4.00 GHz
  • GPU: GTX 2080 XC
  • RAM: 16GB of DDR4
  • PSU: Corsair AX Series AX760 760W
  • Main Display: Asus Rog Swift 27-inch 144Hz G-Sync 1ms 1440p
  • Secondary Display: AOC 1080 27 Inch
  • Network: Wired Connection, 350+ Download, 100+ Upload

Solution
It could be your CPU, 100% Load is very sketchy tho. Try returning the CPU to where you bought it. It can also be your ram because 3 years ago i had exact same problem and it was my RAM.

4745454b

Titan
100% CPU load could be the problem. As it hits 100% it can't feed the GPU enough anymore and the frame rates will go down. Your CPU should be good enough however to handle what you are doing. Why is it 100%? Virus? Other background process? Find out what is chewing up the CPU cycles and see if things improve.

Reactions: maxlamb87

maxlamb87

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
100% CPU load could be the problem. As it hits 100% it can't feed the GPU enough anymore and the frame rates will go down. Your CPU should be good enough however to handle what you are doing. Why is it 100%? Virus? Other background process? Find out what is chewing up the CPU cycles and see if things improve.

I have run a virus scan with Malware-bytes and did not find anything, I just was monitoring my computer while playing Halo Co-Op and when I got the FPS drops my CPU was not hitting anywhere close to 100%

maxlamb87

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
If there isn't any reported bad sectors on my hard drives, is there anything else I need to do to check integrity? Could this be an issue with Windows 1909? I am just so lost right now.

Aldo Ramdani

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
It could be your CPU, 100% Load is very sketchy tho. Try returning the CPU to where you bought it. It can also be your ram because 3 years ago i had exact same problem and it was my RAM.

Solution

maxlamb87

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015

Could my RAM be the issue even though it doesn't get anywhere close to full utilization?
What is the best way to tell if my RAM is faulty?
Windows Memory Diagnostic Test came back with no errors

Aldo Ramdani

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
Could my RAM be the issue even though it doesn't get anywhere close to full utilization?
What is the best way to tell if my RAM is faulty?
Windows Memory Diagnostic Test came back with no errors
Try to use 1 sticks, if it still stuttering, try the other stick and if you already did that and it still stuttering, Try checking the RAM if there's any physical damage