Question PC suddenly freezes with no identifiable cause

jcralphy

Reputable
Oct 24, 2017
I'm running into a pretty serious issue with my computer at the moment. I upgraded hald [half?] of my hardware a few months ago when a power surge fried parts of my computer. I bought a new cpu, motherboard, power supply, ram sticks and an M.2 Drive to put a fresh install of Windows 10 on.

Yesterday I turned my computer on as usual, loaded up Discord and Chrome, and started watching Youtube. Suddenly my video pauses, and I think that its buffering but there's no loading wheel. I try to move my mouse but nothing happens. Suddenly the lights on my PC, which are normally controlled by Corsair iCue software, return to their default hardware setting. Nothing happens no matter what keys I press, and I have no choice but to restart my system at the switch. A couple of minutes after booting up and its happened again! No blue screen, no error code, just a sudden and irreversible freeze.

I'm really puzzled by this one, its rendered my computer basically useless and I need it for University work.

My hardware specs:
AMD R5 3600 cpu
ROG Strix B550-F motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum rgb RAM, 4×8gb
OS drive, WD Green 240gb M.2 SSD
Corsair TX850M psu
MSI Aero GTX1070 gpu
Crucial MX300 750gb SSD
Crucial MX500 500gb SSD
WD Blue 1tb HDD

Ralston18

Titan
First disable the iCue software. It could be buggy or corrupted. Determine if the computer stabilizes.

If not, are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Try that and if successful look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational log entries that correspond with the times that the freezes etc. occurred.

Failing the above, power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Then by sight and by feel verify that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Nothing loose, wiggling, half seated, etc..

If the problem(s) still continue then disconnect the extra drives. Reboot.

Verify that the system is and remains stable. Start adding the drives back one by one ensuring that the system remains stable.

Problems suggest a power (PSU ?) problem.

However, that said, if there was a power surge something else may have been damaged but not to the point of immediate failure. Over time the damage degraded and has gotten to a threshold point where problems are starting.

Key is to narrow down to the possible culprit either directly or by elimination.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Motherboard bios is on latest release do not touch unless stable system
amd cpu drivers are installed and power plan set to balanced
a tool that I use from asus is the "ARMOURY CRATE" keeps everything all drivers up to date
as titan said maybe PSU hope to of helped in some way hope you get it fixed

jcralphy

Reputable
Oct 24, 2017
I've managed to get into safe mode, unfortunately the logs I can see relate to the unexpected shut down of the computer when I press the restart button, not the freeze itself.

I found the error code 0xC0000001 for all 4 freezes that I catalogued under the name Kernel-Event-Tracing.

I also found codes 0x1, 0x60000001C, 0x900000006 and 0x0 at the time of one freeze under the section EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv.

Edit: I just tried running my system without iCue and it still froze. I think this issue has something to do with Windows updates because I installed a couple and have been having problems since. I uninstalled the most recent ones and I got stability for that session, but when I booted my computer later on they had reinstalled themselves.

Last edited: